View Full Version : Values to color question

FryGuy982
04 April 2005, 05:42 PM
When I draw or paint in photoshop I find it easier to just paint with values as that way there are no colors distracting from the image I'm trying to create. However, when I am finished with the image I'm not sure how to turn my values to color without repainting the whole thing.

This link kinda illustrates my issue.
http://magnusmugen.free.fr/forums2/index.php?topic=120.from1114194365;topicseen#msg821

What I have tried in the past was "color balance" or "hue/sat" but those only shade areas that are specifically black or grey, leaving highlighted areas white.

Also, I have tried painting layers and transforming them to "color" mode, but that doesn't look right either :(

Anyone have some good tips on how to solve this issue?

EraserX
04 April 2005, 05:50 PM
First off, I recomend you start painting in color and if you need to check your values, set up a Greyscale preview so that Ctrl+Y will toggle back and forth between CMYK and Greyscale. However...if you insist on working without color and adding it later, I suggest you learn to take advantage of gradient maps. You can map colors to values exactly the way you want without them being completely linear like a layer set to 'color'. You can use gradient maps from the Image menu at the top or as adjustment layers from the bottom of the layer palette.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2005, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.