View Full Version : is the software important?

Antonio79
04 April 2005, 03:59 PM
Hello! I am currently studying at the academy of art in san francisco, I'm taking an associate degree in vfx, but the only software I know and I'm learning is After Effects. I can do lots of good compositing and vfx in ae but I still don't know other softwares (I mean I can use a lot of other softwares but not about compositing). My question is, if I send a compositing demo reel to a company, and let's say the company likes it, but then they see in my resume that I still have to learn other softwares like shake, combustion etc... could they hire me anyway or would this be a problem? thanks

boboroshi
04 April 2005, 04:52 AM
Generally, someone can tell if you have the eye or not. Compositing is alla bout the look of a shot, so if you don' have the eye, it usually doesn't matter what software you know.

That being said, most major places aren't going to hire you and give you a month to learn a piece of software. they want results, yesterday.

I think there's a lot of benefit from learning the science behind what you're doing. Understanding what a color correction or transfer mode does mathematically is critical to what you're doing.

JDex
04 April 2005, 04:57 AM
You should probably pick up a student license of a nodal compositor while you're still in school and study up on how to use it effectively... then you're covered... most nodal comp apps are pretty similar...

hiphopcr
04 April 2005, 05:37 PM
Don't limit yourself by only knowing AE, the more of the big four you know (DF, Shake, Combstion, AE) the more opportunities you'll have

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2005, 05:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.