View Full Version : Motion trail on sword

allain skywalker
04 April 2005, 05:42 AM
Im just wondering if how will I achieve this kind of effects in my sword duel. My character has sword and everytime he wips his sword a sword trail appears.

roguenroll
04 April 2005, 05:23 PM
check out some 'rotoscoping' tutorials, like lightsaber effect only much more subdued, unless you want the lightsaber effect. You'll be animating a mask and appling an effect to it, unless you can some how key the sword ( i m not to knowledgable about that technique).

falconWolf703
04 April 2005, 03:57 PM
http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/tutorials_sabers.html <--This tutorial, IMO, is the end-all be-all tutorial on lightsabers, which is similar to the effect you're looking for. It's also some good practice on rotoscoping.

http://ryanw.michaelfrisk.com/ryan-w/tutorials_sabers2.html <--This page is an extension on the first page.

If you're looking for sword trails, you can play around with the Echo plugin found in A.E.

artisanfx
05 May 2005, 09:15 AM
Im just wondering if how will I achieve this kind of effects in my sword duel. My character has sword and everytime he wips his sword a sword trail appears.

sorry but i didn understund what you correctly looking for but it seems you want to do a motion trial effect on the sword, if so you can do the trial effect easy with >Studio Effects - FE time blend< or >Next Effects - Wide time< both are from "final effect"
but if you need to just apply the trial effect to the sword then, you need also to make a mat for the sword thats means you need to rotoscoping the sword to make the trial effect aplplyed just to the sword

hope that helps ya :)

Khalor
05 May 2005, 09:27 AM
You could try roto-masking the sword, then moving that layer's time back slightly. Do this with several layers to create a ghostly image of the sword (lower the opacity of each layer, with the most delayed one being the most transparent)

CGTalk Moderation
05 May 2005, 09:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.