View Full Version : How to get job as Concept Artist?

Cman
03 March 2005, 11:23 PM
My gf and I are going to Siggraph this year.
She is interested in seeking employment as concept artist/character designer, etc

Any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

Thanks.

CodeNothing
03 March 2005, 11:27 PM
I got my concept job with my website. I sent out an e-mail to about 50 companies with a link to my site. Only 3 contacted me back and one hired me full time!

vrf
03 March 2005, 02:25 AM
Be very talented, and have a wonderful portfolio to prove it. Otherwise, choose a different career.

Kanga
03 March 2005, 07:09 AM
'How to get a job in computer animation' Ed Harriss (google)

Very inexpensive book covering all aspects including strategies of how to conduct yourself and attack Siggraph. Up to date and invaluable.

MrFreeman
03 March 2005, 09:13 AM
It's not easy as there are a lot of talented people out there.

Best way is to build up a great portfolio of work showing a variety of styles, though aimed at whatever industry you want to get in to (games, features, etc.). Having a good website is also vital as well as joining sites where you can promote your work.

I started as a broadcast designer and changed direction late in life, but have got a lot of work thanks to placing work on this site and entering the challenges that occur every few months.

it only takes a few people to notice your work and once you've got a few jobs under your belt, you never look back.....A lot of it is down to luck, but anything is possible!!! :)

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2005, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.