Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : flickering in the computer screen when looking through a camera

03-15-2005, 02:39 PM
hi pals,

just a doubt,

for my VFX project i have a shot where i'll have to show as if i'm working on my computer . but when i record it there is alway a flickering in the computer screen which i know its b'cos the refresh of the monitor screen and the video cam doesn't synch.

is there any way arround to solve this. i dont have any mointor capturing s/w. i just got a vidoe cam.

03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
If you have an lcd available, it won't flicker.

03-15-2005, 07:14 PM
hi erky,

thanks for the inforamtion, but in don't have an LCD either. i'll have to look another way arround. anyhow i've downloaded Camtasia Studio Trial Vresion hope that works.

03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I haven't used digital cams too much, but i know (not 100% sure ;) ) that in some (canon's XL1-series for example) there is a mode that can suppress this flickering. Maybe looking through the manual helps you with that.

Hope that helped

03-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Have you tried changing the monitor refresh rate to match the video rate (multiplied)

ie PAL = monitor refresh rate at 50 or 100hz
NTSC = 60hz or 12 hz

03-16-2005, 06:09 PM
jblaze - i'm useing a sony video cam that's what they provide in our college. anyhow thanks for the information.

stranegrthings - i would be glad to here if u could tell me the way to change the monitors refresh rate to that of video cams.

rightnow my idea is to fake a portion of shot by PrintScreening and cutting vieport of the maya and placing a rendered image sequence in the place of viewport.

for a more complex shot where i need to show my cursor or UVtextureEdior window opening i'll have find a way to do it.

03-16-2005, 07:11 PM
if it's window's

right click on the desktop > properties > settings tab > advanced button > monitor tab

should be in there.... you may or may not be able to get the refresh you need.

if it's mac....

dunno - except it is probably in the control panel settings

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2005, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.