View Full Version : New to modeling, need body help!

Diogenes
03 March 2005, 07:01 AM
First off, if you need any other pics, just ask. I saved a bunch just in case, mainly wireframe.

I'm fairly new to 3DsMax(6) and modeling, so there's a lot I don't know how to do. I made it up as I went along to this point, but I'm accepting that I need to ask for help. The only help I've used yet was that Joan of Arc tutorial, and I kinda went my own way about it. Used references, too (lots of anatomy stuff). But, I just don't know how to model very much, and I don't want Joan's body for this guy. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows of, or has, a good tutorial or guide on how to go about making bodies, male or female (since I need to make a girl next). Thank you. :)

arash
03 March 2005, 05:32 PM
You need to study human anatomy. You have to know about the muscles in order to build a good model. Using tutorials will only help you to a point.
Anatomy books are usualy very cheap, buy one and practise before modeling in a 3d software.

Diogenes
03 March 2005, 10:22 PM
Thank you. :) Though I have no problem finding stuff on anatomy, my main issue is going about modeling it. I don't know how to accurately space edges/vertices for areas from about the chest down. I'll practice plenty, but I was just looking for maybe different ways of going about it. I don't like copying, so there should be no worry there, I just tend to be off a bit when it comes to making things so I spend too much time adjusting and adjusting. I don't mean to waste anyone's time, if I do. Thanks again. ^_^

jmBoekestein
03 March 2005, 11:34 PM
Well,

the thing is a lot of programs construct curvature differently and it requires tweaking al of the time. You need to figure out how your program makes curvature and how it interpolates to build a surface(in case of subd's, usually is so). when you figure that out you can either make the right curves or step onto higher detail modelling, whichever you prefer.

cheers.

Diogenes
03 March 2005, 11:44 PM
Thank you. I know I need to work a lot at it. Someday I'll get it. :) Thank you for your help though.

arash
03 March 2005, 08:37 AM
There is a great dvd for modeling the entire human body.
See this thread, http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=186619

Diogenes
03 March 2005, 08:35 PM
That's some very cool stuff. Thank you so much. :D

CGTalk Moderation
03 March 2005, 08:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.