View Full Version : Wheel tire help.
02 February 2005, 11:10 PM
Does anyone know how to bend something around a circle in Photoshop?
I need to make the side of a tire in 2d and I cant manage to bend the Michelin writing around it.
02 February 2005, 12:08 AM
Hmmm, there is an option to transform text and shape it in an arc shape (warp text), make a new transparant layer, hide all other layers and merge the textlayer and the transparant layer to get a normal layer instead of a textlayer, now you can select the text and move and maybe rotate it to match the tire.
Hope this is helpfull, maybe you should post the image so we can see what the problem is
02 February 2005, 12:49 PM
Text on a path (CS, don't know the backward compatibility of that):
Make a path, select the text tool and click on the path. The text will follow it.
Because circles (shape tool) are managed as vector paths in your psd, you can also click onto a circle with the text cursor.
edit: just realized that you asked for "something", not just text. There are two methods I know:
- create a new square sized document that fits your tire (double size and scaling down after all could be better because of sharpness)
- paste your logo into that document.
- turn it upside down, move it slightly above the lower edge and scale it (the complete lower edge will become the outer rim of your tire)
- merge layers down to ensure there is no transparency
- use filter - distort - polar coordinates, rectangular to polar.
Tip: you can also unwrap your tire by polar to rectangular, place your logo, and rewrap it. If you can handle lost quality by resizing.
2. Illustrator (I prefer this method when having a vector logo because of quality and transparency)
- paste your logo into a document.
- create a transparent rectangle above (or below) it that represents the extent of the tire (i.e. if you want the logo to appear within 90 degrees, the rectangle has to be 4 times wider than the logo).
- in the brush palette, select new brush - new art brush
- draw a circle and select your new brush in the brush palette. It will wrap around any selected path
- you can copy and paste the circle into photoshop as a new layer with transparency
Hope that helps.
02 February 2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.