I've been dealing with rendering alot of big maya files through mental ray, and I would like to pose this question to see if anybody has any thoughts on this.
Is such a workflow possible for people doing scene lighting?
1) Open bigscene.mb
2) Export as bigscene.mi, excluding all lights and cameras.
3) Open a new scene. Create lights.
4) Somehow do an 'include' of bigscene.mi in renderglobals or some mental ray options.
5) Tweak lighting adjustments.
6) Hit render (and not have to wait for Mayatomr translation, since bigscene.mi is already translated)
7) Tweak ligthing, hit render, repeat.
And more importantly, can one do all this without mental ray standalone?
Thanks in advance,