View Full Version : Car Modeling

ice2wrist
02 February 2005, 10:51 PM
Im new to car modeling and I wanted to know what is the easiest way ?

Ibah
02 February 2005, 06:41 AM
try some tutorials first, there isnt really a best way. the differs, some people like a some b..

but most people like this aproac:

setup your reference of the car.. side front , top view.

draw the importan lines with splines, make a 3d drawing this way, of a spline network.

when done you can use it as a 3d reference.

than start out with a face, and extrude it, again and again (poly modelling)
good place to start is the hood of the car.. go to the side and grill from there.. etc

ice2wrist
02 February 2005, 06:13 PM
When they use a polygon, do they extrude the edges. I tryed box modeling but i dont like the results from it

titaniumdave
02 February 2005, 06:26 PM
When they use a polygon, do they extrude the edges. I tryed box modeling but i dont like the results from it

Yes. I start out with a simple poly plane with no divisions. Then I pick the direction I'm going in. Say I start at the center of the hood and I want to move towards the edge of the hood where it meets the side. I put my plane in the center and select the edge on the side and extrude. Usely a few times, atleast enough to get the general curve of the hood but not to much. Ofcourse I start, as mention above, by drawing curves to outline each piece of the car first.

ice2wrist
02 February 2005, 08:24 PM
Can i see some renders of cars you have done..if so you can send them to my email notorious986@yahoo.com or you can IM me on AIM my sreenname is notourious86

ice2wrist
02 February 2005, 02:48 AM
I tryed the extruding edges, Im having some trouble i put a plane with no divisions in the center of the hood. Then i extruded some edges and now im stuck becasue some edges can't be extrudec because their are combined and if i select the whole edge wont extrude right half goes the right way then the other goes the other. I like this method so far.

Ibah
02 February 2005, 10:44 AM
i could explain, but i think this tutorial here, explains it enough.

http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/fiat500/fiat500_m02.asp

just see how it is done here.. they dont use spline cage do... but its adviced you do , with complex curves in cars

ice2wrist
02 February 2005, 11:07 PM
Im not using max im using maya im not good at translating max to maya

Ibah
02 February 2005, 11:13 PM
doest matter its just extruding edges.. in maya extrude edge, bind it to a key and you need cut faces tool, and you need the weld.. key those 3 and you can go moddle a car.. and with this tut it doesnt make a difference what you use, its not about the buttons, its about the modelling, not the tools.. they are all the same.. the ones i mentioned, that is what you need.. you know where they are ;)

under polygons menu, hotkey them, or make your own menu with them, by holding shift when selecting, i thought :S forgot

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.