View Full Version : blobby with Motion blur

akewt
02 February 2005, 04:54 PM
hi, does anyone know if the blobby particle surface can be rendered with Motion blur? tried mental ray and software with a sphere by side (w/ Mblur) but no joy.

WhiteRabbitObj
02 February 2005, 10:54 PM
Motion Blurred blobbies with final gather in MR:

http://www.rit.edu/%7Emjd6897/motionblurred.jpg

Normal render with FG on MR:

http://www.rit.edu/%7Emjd6897/normal.jpg

The key, I believe, is to make sure to have a particle cache. If you don't cache the particles it doesn't know what the previous frame was to motion blur with. I also had "visible in reflections" and "visible in refractions" on as well, since I checked the render tab in the particle object to see if it was just a "motion blur" on/off switch like geometry has. I don't know if you need to have visible in reflect/refract on for motion blur to work but I doubt it. Just make sure you have a cache and that should solve the problem. Also, make sure motion blur is set to "Exact(deformation" and not "Linear(transformation)", as linear doesn't seem to work.

One caveat: make sure you prepared for long as heck render times. That motionblurred version took around 10 minutes, whereas the non-motion blurred one took less than 1 minute. You can have fast motion blur as well, but it will be very grainy and you need to pump up the sampling, which increases rendertime dramatically.

akewt
02 February 2005, 11:27 PM
thanks a load whiteRabbit. i apreciate your help dude i'll try this out now.

nice blobbies btw :D

akewt
02 February 2005, 12:00 AM
yeah got it working nicely wit me rain. sampling at min2 max3

i think that clinches me doing the particles in maya. now i just need to find out how to export cameras between LW/maya :P

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.