XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Please Help with Eye shader settings

02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Can anyone help me with setting up shaders for a human eye?
What i'm trying to do right now is have the outter layer transparent,
using a sampler info node's facing ratio to make the outter layer less transparent and more reflective towards the glancing angles of the eye,

what i have problem with is actually doing it, any help with the process of setting that up or a link to a tutorial would be much appreciated.

after some more experimentations, i've found out a little more, but i'm not sure if I'm right, so it would be great if someone could confirm these findings.

i plugged facing ratio into transparency, and the result was the areas directly facing the camera are more transparent,

so if i wanted the reverse effect for reflectivity, i can just plug facing ratio into input 2 of a Multiply/Divide node, set input 1 as "1", and operation to divide, this way i get 1/facing ratio, which should make the areas directly facing the camera less reflective.

02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/eyeTut.html maybe that can help.....

02-16-2005, 11:30 PM
...or you could plug the facing ratio into a reverse node.

You may want to use a ramp to control the transparency (because you can choose U or V of the sphere, rather than facing ratio, and how much transparency with a black and white gradient).

Using facing ratio may not give you enough control over where and how the transparency will fall, especially if youre going to animate the eye.

02-17-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm not sure as to how to plug the facing ratio into a U ramp and use that for the reflectivity and transparency as Andrew descriped, can someone help me a little with how to do this exactly? A screen shot of such a set up in maya would be really help.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.