LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : WIP - 'I wish'

02-14-2005, 12:55 AM
He waited for her...the girl with feathers in her hair.
He had made her laugh a thousand times, but today she did not notice him...

Pencil Sketch:

Photoshop Colour Roughs (as in very rough):

The Left colour image has a cold blue base (apart from the couple) and darker shadows. The right image is warmer (please ignore my poor skin tones!).

This will be my first work in Painter. I come from a traditional Illustration background ( and it seems like Painter is a program I'd enjoy working with.

I have found trying to get the lighting and highlights for this image very difficult. Also the reflection/look of the mirror is giving me problems. So any advice would be a great help to me.

The scene is supposed to be taking place under a circus tent, I may change to a night/late evening scene - that may present more interesting lighting.

I look forward to your comments.
Thank you.

02-14-2005, 07:08 AM
that poor clown... :sad: Lookin' good though... can't wait to see the final. Only thing I can say is that the clown should def. be brighter than the reflection so he stands out more, and his head won't blend into the reflection

02-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your comments SoLiTuDe, I've found visualising the reflection a bit difficult as the angle of the viewer and the Clown is near head on. So the reflection would be directly behind the Clown I think.

02-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Started laying down the base for the clowns head...

02-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Adding make up, have to do more work on the ear! Will try adding texture/noise to the skin (stubble, pockmarks etc).

02-17-2005, 02:08 AM
Ahhhh clowns have feelings too. Who knew?

So far so neat.

02-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Thank you for your comments..

Heres the current progress, adding detail and working more on the couple. Painted in some additions like the basic rose shape and lamp.

Any suggestions would be great.

02-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Treyz32.. woow.. it's looking very very good..and i'm glad you did't put a teardrop under one of his eyes.. ,, the look in his eyes are telling it all. really great work..
Gretz from ArtSong
Keep up the good work

03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Thank you for your comments. Added highlights on the mirror, trying to get the couple finished and added a few more details. Darkened the image as a whole slightly.

As I'm painting the couple without models or decent references I'm finding it hard to get the tonal value and shadows right! :sad: Any suggestions??

Any other C&C is most welcome.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.