View Full Version : modeler types

02 February 2005, 03:23 PM
Ive heard of things like spline,patch,Bezier, and NURBs modelers. However, it seems all modelers nowadays are just plain sub-d/polygonal modelers with some nurbs support.
Does anyone know of the modelers with the best nurbs/spline/patch/bezier support?

thank you very much.

02 February 2005, 04:57 PM
Try Rhino or Alias Studio Tools... It's good for nurbs, i think.
(But Nurbs are for CAD mainly, like Catia, SolidWorks...)

02 February 2005, 07:41 AM
what is it you wish to model, and why? These reasons will assist in better determining the software to go for :)

02 February 2005, 10:52 AM
sub d, polygon modelling, i for more anatomical, flued things, like humands and such, thats why its so widely used, its one of the best ways to get it done.

nurbs is basicly for fluid shapes also, but more for making product objects, like a bottle of soap etc, or some things like big round plates for on robots or cars, but also done with poly modelling now a days, but now a days nurbs is being used less and less.

spline modelling, is basicly used in all sections, making basic setup for heads, or the layout of your model, a car etc. you can draw in 3d, make it into a poly surface and than you have your base shape to go from there.

splines are also widely used in the architectural things you see around, have a look at 3dtotal, and its tutorials.. it will show you when surtain things come in handy.

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.