View Full Version : maya 5 rendered hdr sphere lush, maya6 wont!?

anthonymcgrath
02 February 2005, 09:40 AM
I have a car I've been modelling in maya5:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/anthonymcgrath/car_inprogress16.jpg

the reflections on the car body are created using a sphere with a free hdri map from hdrishop.com and it created some fantastic results (or at least I think so heh!). I'm not using image based lighting or final gather either - this is straight mental ray with lights but thats never made a difference from what I could see.

I've now switched to maya6 and the same scene wont render out the nice hdri reflections in this image - its like its not raytracing or something. Is there something I'm missing here - I had a look through the manual on hdr stuff but there aint a great deal explaining the differences in maya5 and 6 mental ray :/

please help guys I'm at me wits end

edit: I have got the hdri map to now reflect in maya6 but I've had to boost the hdr maps colour gain from a value of 1 to 32 which floods the reflections in everything else (headlamps and carbon wing plastic coating).
I'm open to any suggestions - I'll post a pic of the maya6 render up tonight but I just dont get why it would render out the car paint without the reflections (other than boosting it massively!) differently from maya5

cheers guys
ant
newcastle
uk

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.