View Full Version : copying weights insanity

Arcon
12 December 2004, 09:19 AM
i've got 2 poly skins and i'm trying to copy weights between them. maya's "copy weights" tool works perfectly for 90% of joints except for the pelvis joint and all immediate surrounding joints, which it screws up. and yes it would be a real hassle re-painting those specific areas... i could actually fix this with a permanent blendshape but it would introduce an overhead i think, and i would prefer the copy weights just worked... ;)

i've tried export/import weight maps but it doesn't seem to work well on a medium/high-res characters, even with good UVs. i've tried the following scripts from highend: "aeSkinWeightsTransfer" and "weightTools". they both failed miserably and put weight in completely random places. unless i'm not using weightTools properly.... do u just select the skin and export...? or the skin and bones..?

the skeleton is the same, and to see if it was a maya bug i tried copy weights with an exact duplicate of the skin, and the same problem happened at the pelvis! aaargh! wtf? if you want to do a model swap for a character rig in maya, are you screwed? any help greatly apprec.

Arcon
12 December 2004, 10:03 PM
heh, all fixed :) i used maya's copy weights first then aeSkinTransferWeights.mel at the vertex level which seems to work perfectly.

anthonymcgrath
12 December 2004, 02:47 PM
hey sipher - I noticed you said you fixed it with aeSkinTransferWeights.mel

is this the same as the aeSkinWeightsTransfer (ie just a typo on your behalf :p ) or is it a different script.

if its the same - can you post up a little toot on it please? Are saying that I could basically detach the model - redo my uvs, kill the history then re-bind and use the skinTransferWeights to get it back to the binding state I were happy with? If you can post up some notes on this I'd be really chuffed

all the best for 05

ant
newcastle
uk

Arcon
12 December 2004, 09:35 PM
heh yep i think its the same script :)

i think you'd be able to do what you mentioned - you'd want to test it out first on something simple like a soft-bound tube ;) it has really good help docs that come with that script (either with it or on the guy's home page), so i'd recommend checking those out.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.