View Full Version : Someone help me get dotXSI for Maya?
I just noticed that SoftImage got their dotXSI converter made for Maya (Ok, still beta, but anyways), and I was just about to go download... but Softimage.com wants me to register to get it.
Well that's not really a problem, but I don't know what's wrong with it, I've now tried to register for three times, and I always get errors, or my username/pass isn't accepted :hmm:
So, if someone of you, who already has an account at softimage, could download it, and upload it/email it to me?
Oh, and if that someone would have MSVC++ installed, he could maybe compile it for me too?
Edit: Hmph, lotsa typos
30 views and none of those have an SoftImage.com account? :surprised
09-02-2002, 06:51 PM
or, maybe no one wants to illegally provide you with software?
says that at sign up too
# 2 viewer
What the heck are you talking about? :surprised
A Public Beta version of "dotXSI xchange for Maya", a free unsupported gift from Softimage, is now available
Thank you for choosing to download the dotXSI xchange for Maya.
This is a public beta of the converter, which is under continuing development. The conversion tasks that it is best suited for are detailed in the included documentation.
To use the converter you must meet certain criteria:
You must be a registered owner of Maya version 3 or 4 with the Maya SDK installed
You must have access to a development environment such as Microsoft® Visual Studio™.
(I do admit that I don't have MSVC++, but that's not something that makes it illegal for me, it just makes me unable to compile the plugin, doesn't it?)
After trying to register and log in (I got an email from Softimage.com verifying my username and password) this is what I get:
The email I got:
Dear Ville Tammi,
Thank you for registering to download the dotXSI xchange for Maya converter.
Please go to http://www.softimage.com/download/xsi/converters/maya/ to access this free converter from Softimage. You will be required to log in first.
This is a reminder that you have an existing account on softimage.com:
Thank you again for your interest in Softimage
The Softimage Team
Please feel free to login with your account at
http://www.softimage.com/userprofile to update your information.
Is this illegal?
Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention. I don't have XSI, but the converter isn't going to be used to convert from Maya to XSI, but from Maya to Jedi Knight 2 fileformat. There is already a Max connection plugin for XSI, and I've been waiting for the Maya one to appear for some time now, and finally when it's released, it must be downloaded from softimage.com itself and ofcourse it doesn't work...
Then just email Softimage. I'd like to help, it just says non-transferable. But the people at Soft are very cool, contact them and ask for access. I guess the license being associated with Maya means they can't put it up on Sourceforge for easy access and free download.
DOTXSI xchange for Maya
In order to download the plugin you must read and agree to the following license agreement:
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR dotXSI xchange CONVERTER FROM SOFTIMAGE FOR MAYA® SOFTWARE
NOTICE: THIS SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY BE USED ONLY IN CONNECTION WITH, AND YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING, A VALID LICENSED COPY OF MAYA® SOFTWARE.
IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Softimage, Inc. ("Licensor"), for the software product identified above, which includes computer software, and may include associated media, printed materials and "online" or electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT" or "SOFTWARE"). By clicking on the "I ACCEPT" button or by downloading, installing, copying, or otherwise using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions set forth below. You also agree that your consent given electronically has the same value and carries the same obligations as if signed by you. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, click on the "I DECLINE" button to stop the download or the install procedure and do not otherwise install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE: The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold and the Licensor retains all right, title and interest in the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following non-transferable, non-exclusive rights, without the right to sublicense, rent or lease:
Installation. You may use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT only in conjunction with a valid licensed copy of Maya® software on a single workstation to create one executable incorporating the SOFTWARE PRODUCT ("EXECUTABLE SOFTWARE PRODUCT") that is a plug-in to the Maya® software according to instructions provided with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
Use. You may use one copy of the EXECUTABLE SOFTWARE PRODUCT on the single workstation only in connection with the valid licensed copy of the Maya® software.
No other license. Except as stated expressly herein, the Agreement does not grant you any other rights in respect of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.
Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or the EXECUTABLE SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.
Software Transfer. You may not transfer any of your rights under this EULA. You may not redistribute either the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or the EXECUTABLE SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
Termination. Without prejudice to any other rights, this EULA shall terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and of the EXECUTABLE SOFTWARE PRODUCT and all of its component parts.
3. UPGRADES. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is an upgrade (whether acquired through maintenance or a separate acquisition), you now may use only that upgraded product, in accordance with this EULA.
4. COPYRIGHT. All title and copyrights in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into the SOFTWARE PRODUCT), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are owned by Avid Technology, Inc. or its suppliers. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Therefore, you must treat the SOFTWARE PRODUCT like any other copyrighted material except that you may either (a) make one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT solely for backup or archival purposes or (b) install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single computer provided that you keep the original solely for backup or archival purposes. You may not copy the printed materials, if any, accompanying the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
5. DUAL-MEDIA SOFTWARE. You may receive the SOFTWARE PRODUCT in more than one medium. Regardless of the type or size of medium you receive, you may use only one medium that is appropriate for your single computer. You may not use or install the other medium on another computer. You may not loan, rent, lease, or otherwise transfer the other medium to another user.
6. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You agree that the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, any direct product thereof such as the EXECUTABLE SOFTWARE PRODUCT, or any related documentation or technical data is not being or will not be shipped, transferred or re-exported, directly or indirectly, into any country prohibited by either the United States Export Administration Act and the regulations thereunder or the laws and regulations of such other governmental entity as may have jurisdiction over such shipment, transfer, or export, or will be used for any purposes prohibited by any such applicable law.
7. UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT was developed at private expense and with no government funds. If this SOFTWARE PRODUCT is acquired by or on behalf of a unit or agency of the United States Government (each and collectively, "the Government"), the Government agrees that such SOFTWARE PRODUCT is "commercial computer software" or "commercial computer software documentation" and that, absent a written agreement to the contrary, the Government's rights with respect to such SOFTWARE PRODUCT are limited by the terms of the this EULA, pursuant to FAR §12.212(a) and/or DFARS §227.7202-1(a), as applicable. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is proprietary data, all rights of which are reserved under the copyright laws of the United States.
Softimage Co. is a subsidiary of Avid Technology, Inc., Avid Technology Park, One Park West, Tewksbury, MA 01876, USA.
If you acquired this product in the United States, this EULA is governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. You hereby irrevocably agree to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the event of any dispute hereunder.
If you acquired this product in Canada, this EULA is governed by the laws of the Province of Québec, Canada. You hereby irrevocably agree to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Québec and further agree to commence any litigation that may arise hereunder in the courts located in the Judicial District of Montréal, Province of Québec.
If this product was acquired outside the United States or Canada, then local law may apply.
Should you have any questions concerning this EULA, or if you desire to contact Licensor for any reason, please contact the Avid Technology, Inc. or Softimage Co. subsidiary serving your country, or write: Softimage Sales Information Center, 3510 Blvd. St-Laurent, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2X 2V2.
9. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS"AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. LICENSOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT, WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND ALL MATERIALS THAT ACCOMPANY THE SOFTWARE, OR THAT OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE FREE FROM ERROR OR INTERRUPTION. IN PARTICULAR, LICENSOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATION AND DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AS TO THE EXTENT, COMPLETENESS, OR ACCURACY OF ANY CONVERSIONS OF DATA PERFORMED BY THE SOFTWARE.
10. NO LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL LICENSOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, AND THE LIKE, ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT OR THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Because some states and jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, the above limitations may not apply to you.
Well I'll email them, I just thought it would be easier to someone download it for me, but if it's this big thing, then I'll email them.
09-04-2002, 08:42 AM
i mean, honestly, do you think that compiling this free plugin for someone who has to clue about using c++, is a crime?
who reads these EULAs anyways nowadays, they are like countless dirt and no one every follows them unless in productions where it's very dangerous but for single guys and home use like for us it doesn't matter so lets not be wise guys here.
if someone can compile it and annonymously put it for download somewhere then all you will do is a favour and i will be more then happy to get it as well. now, that there are 100s of ppl like as would start emailing them asking for compiled one, i don't think half of us would be even unswered, hello, version3 is on the way and they got more important thigns to do.
so grab your balls and stop being afraid of every shadow. for gods sake, is it all about law suits in north america? is that the society we prefer to live in? NO, nuf said
09-04-2002, 12:16 PM
Yes, you can get into a lot of trouble for compiling the code and making it available for download to everyone. I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, I'm just saying that I doubt any legit XSI owner will do it and run the risk of getting in legal trouble with Softimage.
There have already been enough legal problems involving this plugin anyway....
This is interesting, Max users have had their plugin available for quite some time now. What's so special about the Maya version?
Honestly, if this really is this big matter, I didn't know. I thought it was just one of those free plugins you're used to, and was just asking someone to help me as softimage.com doesn't seem to accept registrations.
Oh, and email sent to softimage.com about it.
I'll try... server is busy. can't access softimage.com even...
Oh yeah, thanks for bumping this up EAP!
I got a reply from softimage.com a day later when I had emailed them, and my account just had been corrupted, and they deleted it. So I got the plugin, and with some help from Dev-C++ and a friend, I got it compiled and all.
... in case anyone's interested ;)...
12-02-2005, 01:55 AM
So, I'm curious then, if it would be considered illegal to post instructions on how to compile dotxsi using Dev C++??
If not, I'd like it if someone would show me how.
12-02-2005, 02:32 AM
On the same matter, would the current dotxsi format allow me to do something like pointoven, where I could just export vertex motion, and maybe camera movement?
12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
well was recently testing the dotxsi format written for maya7 ill post the link where i got it from, if i can find it i.e and it aprantly works prett well except it exports even the views from maya e.g Top, Side etc., camer animations can also be exported but you may have to drag the camera intrest up a notch in the explorer, animation, lights (except of incl,excl lights which can be fixd), the textures i wasnt too happy...oh yea BTW i tried exporting a scene that was about 70megs and maya crashed aprantly...so yea it still is BETA...
12-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I had to register with Alias to get the FBX exporter. So this is only fair.
12-02-2005, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.