View Full Version : Help with this simple model

TheMagician
12 December 2004, 02:19 PM
Please give me some advice how to model this piece.

http://www.stefan.lohner-net.de/Max-Stuff/bruecke01.bmp

I am a beginner and there is one problem I have with this model:

- I started by drawing a spline for the outline ... and extruded it.

- Now I want to make the "imprint" in the stone (marked with the red X in the picture)

Can you give me any advice on how to do that? ( I am sure there must be a way around using boolean operations)

Thank you very much in advance,

Stefan

Fudge
12 December 2004, 04:16 PM
you could use bump mapping

TheMagician
12 December 2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comment Fudge, but I don't want to solve the problem by mapping but by modelling.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough in my first post. I want to "extrude" the inner part of the model inwards ... but I don't know how to get the shape of the outline of this inner part .... duh ... I really have a hard time explaining this :)

Well, maybe the question is too trivial for this forum ... however, I am looking forward for your comments and ideas.

Stefan

Lord_Venthor
12 December 2004, 06:09 PM
maybe the "split-polygon-tool" will help in this case. after you've drawn the inner part you can extrude that face.
hope this works

Vertizor
12 December 2004, 07:50 PM
Boolean subtract.

BlackL1ghtn1ng
12 December 2004, 08:41 PM
If you are using Max, in the Compound Objects rollout is an object called Shapemerge. It will put the shape directly onto the object so you can extrude it.

TheMagician
12 December 2004, 02:34 PM
Aaah, thanks BlackL1ghtn1ng !! I forgot to mention that I am using Max. Shapemerge sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

I will try it tonight and post my results tomorrow!

Thanks everybody.

***UPDATE***

Here it is: a small test done yesterday :-)

http://stefan.lohner-net.de/max-stuff/bruecke02.jpg

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.