View Full Version : CG Sand forming into a logo

08 August 2002, 07:27 PM
Any idea how i'd do this? It must be 3D!

08 August 2002, 10:19 PM
go through this tutorial to get some ideas on how to achieve your effect

not exactly what you're searching, but the technique might be adjustable to your taste

09 September 2002, 07:46 PM
Napalm by Dynamic Realities

09 September 2002, 12:27 PM
make the object an emitter, then reverse the footage!

09 September 2002, 05:47 PM
Here's some technique without particles:
1. Make your logo. Duplicate this logo to second layer and Metaform twice (or even three time) to get weary tiny mesh.
2. Kill all polygons on this metaformed logo. U mast get some point cloud with form of your logo.
3. Make new Morph target and apply some jitter with Gaussian (i used 500 mm - my greed was 200 mm).
4. Make another Morph target and apply jitter but this time with Uniform (i used 1m in all axis).

09 September 2002, 05:48 PM
5. Send your object to Layout. Hide your original logo and make second layer to appear as vertex.
6. On frame 0 make both morphs for points layer 100%.
7. On frame 30 make second morph 0%.
8. On frame 60 make first morph 0%.
Now make preview. U mast get some random motion of points till frame 30 and some arrange of this points till frame 60.

09 September 2002, 05:56 PM
Now play with HypeVoxels settings.
Here's frame 50 and 60 (i used Sprite mode with 7 mm particles and default Hyper texture with scale 1 mm)
U can make morph targets with some twist or other deformation tools. So use your imagination.

09 September 2002, 05:09 PM
cool tips!

BUT! hehe

i need this sand to fall down and kinda appear to be filling up a shape (an X) to form the logo. would that making the object an emitter and reversing the footage accomplish this?

09 September 2002, 05:48 PM
What's a problem?
If u going to use my technique make the first morph with Jitter 1 mm on X and Z and 1m on Y. Move this jittered object from center (u can use Rest On Ground tool). Also apply some twist.

09 September 2002, 08:49 PM
very kewl stuff,
you should post a tutorial like this to Proton (William Vaughan)
He would appreciate it

to elaborate a bit, you can use deformations on the point cloud in layout too .... like motion designer or a displacement texture

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.