View Full Version : 10sec Animation feedback..

SimonPickard
12 December 2004, 08:57 PM
Hello all,

I recently did this for the 10sec club and was wondering if I could touble you guys and gals for some feedback. I'm always looking for areas in which to improve so please rip it apart if you want.

Animation is found at:

http://www.simonpickard.dsl.pipex.com/Movies/SP_10secNov.mpg

It's a 2meg mpeg1 file that should hopefully playback on most things.

Thanks again in advance,

Regards,
Simon

CGmonkey
12 December 2004, 11:47 PM
haha it made me laugh. excellent animation.

the only thing is that in the end, he doesn't seem very exhausted while jim carrey is out of breath.

SimonPickard
12 December 2004, 12:42 AM
Yeah good point. I really wanted to add some heavy breathing at the end but sort of ran out of time. It's on my to do list for this animation when I get a sec.

Thanks for the reply,

Simon

SimonPickard
12 December 2004, 04:37 PM
Anyone else? I'd love someone to really go through this with me and offer any advice about ways I should be thinking in terms of improving my animation,

Thanks people.

Regards,
Simon

Wilson-3d
12 December 2004, 05:59 PM
I watched it a good ten times and went frame by frame. I do agree with cgmonkey about the breathing heavy at the end. I really could not find anything to suggest. Not to say someone else won't but me-I'm stuck. So I will say I really like that you have him moving around taking steps nad not just standing there. I really like the point of the hand when he says ran a stop sign and the hand nears moth in a whisper pose to say almost hit a chevy. My favorite though is the arch in the hips and the arm swing when he says failled to yeild at at cross walk and then the hops. Nice job.

SimonPickard
12 December 2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Maybe I've watched it too often but I feel like I'm somewhat going from pose to pose without much in the way of how I get there. Feels a little bit like the numbers as times.

Maybe I tired to do too much with this guy in the time? I just wanted to try and stay with the audio in terms of it building, that's why I had the hand to his mouth bit in there.

Regards,

Simon

gaiXyn
12 December 2004, 06:30 PM
I think it's pretty good, his body moments definitely goes with the audio. My only thing with it, ( which is a lil thing ) is the way his right foot slides ( 3X throughout the ani ), but then again this does seem to be a more cartoony ani, so it's really no big deal. How long have you been animating?

SimonPickard
12 December 2004, 10:33 AM
How long? Humm hard to say really. Not as long as I'd like to that's for sure! I was in games for a few years and have now had a year in Film, so 4 years. But most of that time wasn't spent animating.

I'd love to be able to *just* animate, but it's quite hard trying to move yourself into this field I find.

Regards,
Simon

gaiXyn
12 December 2004, 11:25 AM
that's cool, so can you tell us how you learned animation, any books, classes or was this all on your own? I would like to be an animator, and right now I'm gathering references for my demo reel, but without even starting the demo, I already know that my toughest challenge will be the animation. So any tips/advice would be greatly appreicated.

later -

KevinKraeer
12 December 2004, 08:23 PM
That is some nice work. I think the timing and body rhythm is right on, the only I notice that really sticks out is that, he appears to have an 'angry' expression - meaning a furrowed brow - when it is not always appropriate.

For example, I'd like to see his eyes get really, really, big a couple times, specifically at the end, on the word 'speeding'.

While the rhythm and timing are good, I also think the delivery would benefit from some even more exaggerated movement and bounce. The moves are technically there, and they do a nice job, but to me they feel sort of reserved right now.

Overall, a great piece so far! Keep up the good work.

SimonPickard
12 December 2004, 01:13 AM
Binder:

I went to Uni to learn cgi but as is the case you end up learning the package, etc. It wasn't until I came out of Uni that I started really trying to learn animation. So I guess I've sort of done it on my own.
Check out the 10second club. www.10secondclub.org (http://www.10secondclub.org) This is where I go to learn. Some amazing people out there.

kgkraeer:

You're so right. After looking back at it I really need to push it more, go more crazy. I think the main problem is the ending. It's funny how looking back at your work after a few weeks really shows up the problems!

I'll post an update here once I get time to fix things!

Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone.
Si.

Pinet
12 December 2004, 07:24 AM
hey! i saw that one on the 10 secs club :)
i think its one of the good ones!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.