View Full Version : importing 6.5 scenes into 7?

kristen
08 August 2002, 01:28 AM
where can i find a plug in that imports lightwave 6.5 files into 7?
i've tried to just open the file in 7, it loads then crashes. please help! thanks
k

mohh
08 August 2002, 02:18 AM
It should open without a problem. I share files between 6.5 and 7.5 all of the time. Can you open any scene files created in 7? You might just have some corrupt files or a bad install. Have you tried to reinstall LigthWave from scratch? Try installing the 7.5 upgrade, it's free. That might fix any bugs that you might be encountering.

kristen
08 August 2002, 02:35 AM
i've tried multiple files, but, most with the same objects. i'll try the 7.5 upgrade. thanks

NanoGator
08 August 2002, 06:18 AM
Start with a simple scene that only has a cube in it and see if that crashes LW.

It sounds more to me like there's something in the scene confusing 7 (corrupt object maybe?) than there' s a compatibilty problem. 7.5 and 6.5 talk back and forth to each other just fine.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd take a systematic approach to figuring out what it is about hte scene that's crashing it.

kristen
09 September 2002, 07:22 PM
ok...i think i found the problem but i don't understand it. it's a jpg file for one of the textures. without the textures the scene loads fine. when i tried to reload the textures, this one jpg image would crash lightwave 7. the problem really is...is that i several scenes rendered out with this texture in lw 6.5. so, i can't just use another one. i've tried changing it and resaving it, and also saving it as different formats. i'm so confused....

Chewey
09 September 2002, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you have a bad LW7 config file.

DigitalDeuce
09 September 2002, 03:32 AM
Emergency repair procedure 1:

Backup Config files -- just move them somewhere else, maybe in the same place, but in a folder called "config backup".

Then, if you just copied the configs, delete them. You want to have a backup, but no configs where they were originally.

Then, restart layout from it's shortcut, then exit.
Then, restart modeler from it's shortcut, then exit.
Then, exit the hub.

Now, re-add all plugins.

Then, see if that jpg crashes LightWave. Might be a combination of missing plugin or a bad config. Just rebuild 'em.

Let us know how it goes.

kristen
09 September 2002, 10:26 PM
word!!!!!
thanks a lot!

DigitalDeuce
09 September 2002, 10:30 PM
:applause: :applause:

:airguitar :airguitar

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.