XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Mac or PC Version

11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm trying to decide which platform to purchase ZBrush for. I have the choice of either:

G5 2.5 dual with 2GB ram and 9800 XT

Xeon Dual 2.4 with 1GB ram and 6800 GT

I'm leaning towards the Mac due to greater RAM. Any opinions?

Kevin Abbott

11-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah, ZBrush is not so much dependend on your graphics card, so go for the mac one. With a dual G5 and 2gb of RAM, ZBrush should purr like a tiger :) (Haha, I'm sometimes so funny - You got it? Tiger!!! ;))

11-15-2004, 06:39 PM
I've worked on has choked on large models that are a breeze on a similarly clocked and configured PC. (I still like Macs, though. They are good for 3d work in early stages.)

11-15-2004, 08:45 PM
I own Z2 for both platforms, and I like both. My PC responds a bit faster than the Mac does, but the PC is a 3.0 Ghz P4 with hyperthreading, plus I have a gig more ram. My Mac, Dual Processor 1 Ghz G4 is about three years old, and I've been able to use models that have 4 million polygons. I can imagine that the DP 2.5 Ghz G5 will respond a lot better, plus the amount of RAM should help you considerably.

The Mac version also lets you sculpt in perspective, just hit the U key on your keyboard and you're able to sculpt in a more natural view. Hopefully the PC version will have this soon.

Have fun with your purchase!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.