View Full Version : First Z-Brush Sculpt.. a sculptor's perspective

Bil
11 November 2004, 09:57 PM
I have had Z-Brush for a few months but only recently have I had a chance to sit down with it. This is the first sculpt in the program for me. I did it in about 3 hours time, and was amazed at how quickly the whole thing came together. I wanted to see how sculptural a piece I could do quickly.. more of a 3D sketch really.

Bil

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Head01opt.jpg

Lotus7
11 November 2004, 05:44 PM
hey bil. great work there! :thumbsup:

meats
11 November 2004, 06:45 PM
Yes, it looks really nice, especially for a first sculpt.
Could you post some of your traditional work (just curious)?

I'm interested in your thoughts on digital scultping within Zbrush compared to working traditionaly..

Bil
11 November 2004, 08:36 PM
Meats, I will try to take a photo or two of a few of my traditional pieces in the next day or two.

As for a comparison... I find it pretty similar actually... although I am still learning the tools and interface I got comfortable fairly quickly. Something I would like to do in Z-Brush is sculpt with a rake or a textured tool, so I can leave simulated tool marks as I work. I tried this by using different alphas, but perhaps I have the wrong brush or something. I do like that I can apply some volume, or cut away from the piece, and then smooth it to the shape I want using various amounts of pressure. Much like smoothing clay with a finger.

Another thing about Z-Brush that I really like is that I can work up the volume very fast, faster than I can traditionally actually as I don't have to construct an armature, after that applying the details also goes very fast. I haven't tried using Projection Master yet, but am looking forward to that. Perhaps that is my answer to the tool mark texture I am interested in, but I would rather do that as I sculpt rather than as an afterthought.

Thanks for the comments, although I am a bit underwhelmed by this piece personally, still it was just an exercise and I thought it might be interesting to compare them as I progress with the software.

Bil

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.