XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : New Laptop - Win 2K or XP ?

11-02-2004, 08:53 PM
I just got a new dell 8600 from eBay for 900 bucks. It has a Pentium M 1.6 ghz, 512 mb of ram, a geforce fx5200 Go 64 MB...

It came installed w/ dell's preloaded win XP home which I am NOT going to keep (along w/ all the other crap on there). My dilemma is whether I should install XP pro or win 2000. Mainly I'm just interested in fast performance... but if there is any major recent functionality that I haven't thought of, that might be an issue. Are there any optimization issues w/ the Pentium M that would make it beneficial to stay w/ XP. I know on slower machines 2000 is WAY more responsive and eats less resource overhead. Aside w/ some basic 3D, I'll mainly use it for web design stuff...are there any big differences w/ IIS on windows 2000? Terribly anxious to start using my new machine but I'm resisting the impulse... Thanks

11-02-2004, 08:59 PM
winXP pro.

-winXP can be trimmed down to win2k's memory footprint and speed very easily. It just takes about a minute to turn off all the fancy interface crap.

-winXP boots faster

-winXP has a bunch of nice little improvements like supporting zip files as folders, etc.

-with my old dell 5150 laptop, it would NOT run 100% with win2k. Not all of the drivers were available for win2k, but everything was supported under winXP

11-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Why do you think XP Pro would be better than XP Home Edition for your needs? What do you base your need to ditch Xp for the Pro version?

11-03-2004, 01:26 AM
well for one thing...there is no IIS in xp home...so i cant test out any server side scripting stuff w/ dreamweaver locally...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.