View Full Version : ThirdParty Voxels/HyperVoxels Please

Julez4001
11 November 2004, 05:09 PM
How is it that 3dsmax hasso many voxel alternatives?
It seem like they always have somethingor the other and the quality of each are so good.
I am. however ignortant to thier render times. Ijust wish that Ihad a faster solution for voxel smoke. The post stuff is great for linear 2d shots but the tracking, 3ddepth moves and swirling animations must be from lw render.

WillCameron
11 November 2004, 09:08 PM
we need to get some talented programers to work on the old wavefilter volume
plugin:

http://www.wavefilter.com/OpenSourceProject.htm

judging by the images in the gallery, it looks sweet, and supposedly very fast.

- Will.

architook
11 November 2004, 09:20 PM
Is this a totally stupid idea?

But would it be possible for someone to write a LW volumetric plugin which ACTED like a 3DS Max host for a 3DS Max volumetric/voxel tool? Then we could all use the Max tools in LW.

Seems possible but hard. It's certainly possible for something like a LW renderman shader language interpreter.

uncon
11 November 2004, 09:27 PM
What volume tools exist that are so great? Post some links please! I haven't used Lightwave hypervoxels in a really long time, I usually use hypervoxel sprites because they are so fast.

Fasty
11 November 2004, 11:32 PM
Afterburn looks pretty spiffy. Check out http://www.wonderslime.com/main.html under the "tutorials" section.

uncon
11 November 2004, 12:16 AM
Maya Paint FX are pretty cool, although not avolume effect still a 3d-particle type effect.

SplineGod
11 November 2004, 01:23 AM
One trick Ive used over the years that can have faster results then HVs is to create a group of closely stacked pollys. I apply a procedural texture to the transparency channel with falloff to create a fake volumetric element. Those can be fxlinked to particles. :)

Julez4001
11 November 2004, 02:13 AM
take for instance, the new WarHammer Video from Blur, it just reminded (like CeeGee & other Blizzard videos) that they have Maxs internal solution, afterburner, and a few freebie beta solutions. We only have one. I am referencing thick volumetric smoke. I have been able to make fire with no problems using several different techiques (I love sprites) but i want more volumetric smoke solutions. [Whine mode off]

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.