1) I clear all the proxies and delete them, elimate all rigs, constraints etc.
2) Eliminate all the layers that might confuse the translators.
3) If there are Nurbs (eyeballs) I convert them to Polys.
4) I Delete all the history in the scene and on all the the objects.
5) The object has multiple materials applied to it BTW.
At this point I save the file out as a MAYA ASCII file
LOADING into MODO:
1) Loads up fine, no crashes (thank you NVIDIA)
2) Even though it has been deleted the Proxy image appears in a layer of its own centered on the world axis.
3) The model's materials are present in the materials editor but are not assigned to the model as they were in MAYA.
Has anyone else had any experiences similar and found a work around? I am still new to MODO so I may have missed something