View Full Version : Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Gijs Leijdekkers

Dutchman
10 October 2004, 08:06 PM
Gijs Leijdekkers has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Challenge Page (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/grandspaceopera/view_entries.php?challenger=4689)

Latest Update: Final Image: Close-up 3
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105995463_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105995463_large.jpg)

And the last closeup on the final...!

This is a nice time to place some 'special thanks' here :) :

My family (father, mother, Stijn, Leontien, Anne)

All my friends of school :) ; especially: Ernst-Jan, Kim, Liesbeth, Krijn (krvabo), Joey, Roy, Shakila, Jelmer, Patrice :)

Friends of outside school; Bas, Jordi, Erwin, Michel

People who replied here in my tread or / and who where interested in this project. To mention special: Virtuoso :)

The mods and ads who organized such cool challenge. Also the sponsors for giving such cool prizes.

So, allot thanks to you all! :)

Please keep repliing to tell me what you think of it...! I'd really appriciate that...
I think I'll go on with the other composition-concept in the WIP section... Maybe we'll meet there again.

See you later,
Gijs Leijdekkers

RobertJ
10 October 2004, 08:15 PM
Nog meer Nederlanders.

Good luck

Dutchman
10 October 2004, 08:28 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1098563321_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1098563321_large.jpg)

Hi everyone!

First I want to say I'm really exited about the theme of this new challenge, and I'm really motivied to make a great entry! :) At last contest (Machineflesh, first one over here I entered), it was a bit sad that I passed the deadline some, so I couldn't entry my final... Now I've trained all summerholiday long on deadlines (with the Threedy.com Speedmodelling sessions :) ), so this time I'll get it! :) I also have improved my style (I think) and my render qualities...

So heres my first conceptsketch (I'll try to make as many different as possible, to be sure I'll work out the best concept). A short discription:

You can see two gigantic people fighting each other. The one you can see the 'face' of, is a woman (you can not very good see it here, but it is ;) ), and that one 'fighted' away, is a man. They'll be looking like about 400 metres tall! They'll also be very detailed, with allot 'houselikey' things on it, where all 'small' robots or people (I have to choose which ;) ) live. You also can see allot people/robots falling off that man-'structure'. In fact these 'gigantic structures' are really great cities (like inspirated by 'Minas Tirith' :) ), with a lot of detail, as I said before.

The overall atmospere is not really what I want to have in my maybe-final, but it's just to show you what I mean.

The concept is made with 3Ds Max 5.0 (some simple blocks etc; it's not a Biped or something anyway!), and also rendered in Max' Scanline renderer (with some skylights). It's posted in Photoshop 7.0

More concepts very soon; I love making them!

Hope you'll like this one at least,

Gijs

M477
10 October 2004, 11:44 AM
I love making concepts too! :D

Looking forward to seeing more!! Good luck dude :buttrock:

SONIC-X
10 October 2004, 02:17 PM
Hey Dutchman, nice to see anouther threedy here.

Sounds like a interesting idea - I'm not fimiliar with Minas Tirith.
Good luck.

3D-DuTchman
10 October 2004, 03:34 PM
hee

ik ben net nieuw en heet 3D-Dutchman hoop niet dat je het erg vind :S.
maar wel lol dat hier zo veel nederlanders zijn.

i wish you the best of luck your idea's look great

Dutchman
10 October 2004, 03:35 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1098804917_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1098804917_large.jpg)

Hello people,

I've been to my favourite themepark the Efteling yesterday (not my first time; in fact I've a seasonpass :) ) and I got inspirated by 'het Diorama' and 'Droomvlucht' for this challenge (Dutch people will know what I talk about). I got the idea to build as other concept, a few planets that look 'fairytale'-like, and that are 'melting' together (because 'we have to make a pic that depicts in important moment from history of the civilication', or something ;) ). So I tried to sketch some out in Max and Photoshop. It's not yet really the mood I want in my (maybe) final, but it's to show what I mean. At this moment you just see a sort of 'emperors castle' on top of the centerplanet, but it will be detailed along all the planets (little houses and castles etc etc). I want to give the final a really soft 'Brazil-rendered-like' look, and that will be possible because I háve Brazil R/S right here ;)

I hope you like it a bit, and post you comment if you have! At least two more other concepts soon! -Gijs

duddlebug
10 October 2004, 03:38 PM
This is looking really promising!! Something a bit different...

I really like the shapes and the softness of the rendering on that second concept... it'll be interesting to see where you go next...

3D-DuTchman
10 October 2004, 04:45 PM
hee Dutchman

sry ik hoop niet je het me kwalijk neemt alleen ik heb me vandaag pas aangemeld en had niet door dat je al dutchman hete :S (heb trouwens ook niet op gezocht sry)

but.. i like your ideas about dreamworld (efteling style)

i wish you good luck in the contest

Frits (3D-Dutchman)

Dutchman
10 October 2004, 01:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1098885252_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1098885252_large.jpg)

This is my third concept 'sketch'. I got the inspiration from a Dutch poem I red at a very uge tree in a Dutch ( :) ) city (Bergen op Zoom). The poem was like: 'Ow you dear tree. It must be hard for you to hold up the whole world...'. Thats (2 years ago) when I was thinking of that concept to make it 3D... Now, at this challenge I want to use it maybe. So in my pic you see a tree on the world, on witch some 'cables of stars' are made. So it looks like that one tiny tree holds op the whole world!

For the world I started with the sample scene that was in the help files of Max 5 (for a concept it's allowed, eh!? :) ). Problem was that all was modelled quite big, so it was hard to model all. I've made the tree by allot 'extrude along spline' (as at my other last concept). The stars and leaves are added in PS7 with a custom brush :) .

I hope you like it! please post your Comment & Critique!!! I'm going on with 'concept sketching' of my next concept (I'll make at least 5 different, so that I'm sure I'll choose the best :) ).

Greetz, Gijs

Dutchman
10 October 2004, 02:36 PM
@ M477 :: So I also like to make concepts ;) All has not to be perfect :) Tnx for that 'looking' forward; something like that pushes me to think faster ;)

@ Sonic-X :: Nice that you know me from Threedy (you also do allot speedmodelling, isn't it?). Minas Tirith is a very detailed city that is one of allot cool things in Lord of the Rings (3). Such 'things' with allot detail can inspirate me :) Tnx for the 'good luck'!

@ 3D-DuTchman :: First; quite weird that you can post between two earlier posts; first there was no post of you between Sonic-X and me, and after last night it is :eek: (after this night I got emailnotification for it). Second; its not your fault that you've choosen that name... Only one thing; if you register anywhere else on a 3D community, please don't do it as just 'Dutchman', because then it will get very complicated for some other 3D'ers ;) (btw; you posted twice almost the same :D )

@ Duddlebug :: I feel REALLY glad to get a few seconds of your life to post here ;) I dont know if I posted before, but your Machineflesh entry was AMAZING! That style is just SO COOL! I've saved that image in my 'Outstanding CG'-folder :) About the words in your reply; I'm really really glad you like it! I'll try to get something 'different' for all entries :)

Everybody; tnx for the comments, and please keep posting! I want to know what you think of my sketches!

Greetz, Gijs

Doublecrash
10 October 2004, 02:59 PM
Your first idea totally rocks. Reminds me of a wonderful short story by Clive Barker, "In the hills, the cities", have you read it?

I'm hoping you'll stick with your first concept. Just to see how it will come out. :)

Stefano

Virtuoso
10 October 2004, 09:47 PM
Some nice concepts gijs.................Out there,but thats what make them nice.I picture people falling off would be something like in the LOTR series,where you see beings falling off creatures etc,etc....It's an interesting take.I'll look for more from you.Take care over there on that border.;) :arteest:

Archetype
10 October 2004, 09:57 PM
concept 1 spreekt me zeer aan :)

Dutchman
10 October 2004, 09:37 AM
@ Doublecrash :: Nice that you like that first idea of me :) That 'In the Hills, The Cities' have I not red (yet). I'm gonna check out if it's in a library here, maybe I get some inspiration of it :) BTW: your concept is also interesting!

@ Virtuoso :: Really cool that you like my idea! I'm also following your work really close, and reaaally like it! It's an inspiration for me :)

@ Voutlooz :: Nice that you also like that first concept. Your work also rocks, dude!

I'm being developing some other concepts also, so I'm sure all my inspiration will be used ;) . At Machineflesh I choosed my concept too early; now looking at that I know some very much better concepts than the one I used... So I'll not get troubles with that again :)

In fact I only remind the 'good' concepts I thinked of, others do I just drop out of my mind... ;) When I'm working at a concept I just put all my inspiration in it, and I just want to 'feel' it'll be my final concept... Thats why I have not really yet choosen a concept...

I've been to library last week to search some references/inspirations and I checked out some Star Wars books (normally I don't like Star Wars, but now I'll need the reference ;) ). I'll check if I can use some of the books in my entry ;)

I hope to be able to post next concepts later this day!

Greetz, Gijs

[Pleaase keep repliing , even if its only to tell witch concept you like best at this moment :) ]

SONIC-X
10 October 2004, 10:34 AM
The second one looks like it can be interesting.

The speed challenges are taking a bit of a backseat to this comp.

M477
10 October 2004, 10:44 AM
These are some really 'different' ideas. It's good to see someone moving away from the whole star wars theme (unlike myself.. doh!). I'll check back to help you decide on which concept you choose! Looking forward to this one :bounce:

shards
10 October 2004, 08:37 PM
I also think the second sketch is the best of the three! be careful to not go out of theme though! :thumbsup:

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 09:14 PM
I'm more buzzzy now because school has began again (till yesterday I had 1-week-holiday :) ), so I'll post less often, but in weekends I'll work on it mostly. I've got at least 2 more (awesome ;) ) concepts in mind that I'm gonna 'concept-sketch'-out this weekend, so that I'll be able to pick my final concept soon.

@ SONIC-X :: Tnx for liking that second one ;) And also for me the speedchallenges take some kind a 'second-place' for me at this moment (in fact I don't think to participate one soon, because of the 'pressure' of this :) ).

@ M477 :: Good to hear you like I'm going 'off-starwars-line'. In fact indeed I want to make something different... And thats not really hard because I've never seen a complete Star Wars movie (shame? :shrug: ) so I'm not gonna have allot ideas by that. Also your entry is getting shape! I'm gonna follow your tread really close also.

@ oblivionblack :: Tnx for also liking that 2nd one! Of this 3 sketches I've got more or less the feeling also that that one would be the best, but I'm not sure to choose that one, because I've got some other concepts also in my mind, eh :) . And about that 'not gonna out of theme' >> while 'developing' that second concept I kept in mind that it had to be 'marking point' of the civilication, so I let melt some planets together for some 'action'. I want maybe to 'depict a mood in balans' >> really 'relaxt atmosphere'...

For now; tnx for all replies and please keep repliing which one yóu like the best. Tnx in advance ;)

Greetz, Gijs

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 08:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1099688079_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1099688079_large.jpg)

And heres my 4th concept! The Globe...! First I'll give you the story about it....:

About 2010 there was allot terrorism... At some point, 2052 a very uge terrorism organisation, got incredibly angry at the United States govenment... They threw a Atombomb right on San Fransisco... Almost the whole VS was swashed away... The impact of the bomb was not meant in thís way, by the terrorists... But the 'undo'-key couldn't be found, so they had to live with it... But; that was impossible! The whole world was chemecaly reacting; all CO2 changed because of the atonomic impact, to H20, water! The whole world (where ever had been 'C02' >> so in the whole atmospere') was flooded! Because this reaction took about one month, some people in the Netherlands made a secret plan, to rebuild a sort of Arc of Noach. There was build a uge globe of glass in which 1000 people and 450 animals could live... At some moment, when almost all the world was that wet that I wasn't possible to live there, the choosen people got into the 'Globe of Survivers'. All went okay... The lived in the Globe for 74 years! But at some point... they saw a comet with a 'wet creature' on it... It was really uge and looked nasty... And; it was gonna bomb there Globe of Glass with rocks! After the first crack in the glass they new it; they where just minutes away from a new age; an age without humanity anywhere... Another rock hit them, and it was to late... SPLATSCH! Goodbye humanity...

So thats the story behind it... In my opinion this conceptsketch is the most stupid of those I posted till now, but I my final could be lot's better! For example that creaturedesign could be different (better :) ), and the atmosphere should look more like water... I could also choose to leave the 'waterthing' out of it, and let it happend all in the vacuum space... Who knows...

At least one concept (a really nice, I think ;) ) is still in my brain, so that will be added also soon...

I hope you unless like it a bit, and pleaaase post what you think of this / other concepts...

Wish you a good day, Gijs

vrhead
11 November 2004, 12:02 AM
I like the others more than this one... in the fact that this one does not look as epic as your other concepts

young_927
11 November 2004, 02:37 AM
cool concepts! looks different then others~ i like it~

Virtuoso
11 November 2004, 11:22 PM
I think this last concept has the most "Potential" gijs..............You can expand the idea even more.I will await for your next one,don't take too long,you have to pick soon you know....;) ....I think you have to decide for yourself,what your "Gut" feeling is and just go for it....Let it flow naturally.......I'll wait to see more,hope you get more free time.......And watch that beautiful border..........;) :arteest:

arturro
11 November 2004, 11:47 PM
Hi there! nice concepts here. But I agree with Virtuoso that the last one is the best one. It has great colours and best idea(in my opinion of course:) )
good luck and keep workin'

HieSpike
11 November 2004, 01:32 AM
nice concepts, but why san francisco?! The terrorist should attack Washington D.C. instead. The West Coast people of the U.S. are not the type the terrorists want to attack. Peace and good luck

Elfo
11 November 2004, 06:19 PM
Hello!

All your concepts are very nice, but i like the 1st one the most...
"I'll be back" =P. Good luck! :thumbsup:

visualact
11 November 2004, 12:59 PM
Start Men Start:bounce:

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 09:34 PM
Time for reaction from my side:

@ VRHead :: Tnx for saying you 'don't like' this last one...; it will help me to choose one! Also I feel honored to my concepts be called 'epic'; unknown I just 'try to make' that sort of look in this contest; I'm pushed to it by myself

@ young_927 :: Tnx for saying they look bit different from other competitors-ideas! As said before; I don't know allot about Star Wars etc, so I háve to use my own style ;)

@ Virtuoso :: Weird, but cool that you liked that 4th sketch :) In fact after 'brainstorming' about my concept (on my bicycle; when I drive to and from school through that 'wonderfull' border-landscape), I was thinking more about concept 1 and 2. But I'll think of your 'vote' (unless I've to post at least one cool concept still ;) ). Tnx for your reaction in every case :)

@ Arturro :: Same for you as for Virtuoso; I think it's 'weird but cool' you like it :) I'll take your vote with me when I decide!

@ HieSpike :: Very first; tnx for that reaction. And, in fact I typed that story in about 5 minutes; without thinking of which city before. Because it gets a sort of 'cliché' to drop a bomb on the east of the USA, this time I tried to think of a 'western' city. And because one of the only things I reminded myself of the geology-classes was that San Fransisco was there, I choosed that one... :eek: Even better; in fact I think I'd like the whole USA! I'll plan some month-long-journey to it, and will defenitely visite San Fransisco I hope now its clear for you it's not because I dislike the city or so

@ Elfo :: I'm glad you like my concepts! After thinking/brainstorming about that first the last 2 days, I think I can make an awesome pic of that (I thinked of how to 'build' up the character, and how to depict the scale etc etc). Tnx for your comment in every case, and 'CU later' :)

@ Visualact.com :: Yeah, its allright. I just want first to have a really awesome concept (better 2 pages about the concept like here, than 2 posts, like in my MF ;) ). Almost nothing is more annoiing than having to work with a bad concept the upcoming 2 months of spare time

I'll try to post my last (I hope) concept really soon...! At this moment I'm some thinking of how to depict that last one the best...

Tnx for all interest and please keep posting,

Greetz, Gijs

Virtuoso
11 November 2004, 09:58 PM
Ok Gijs....................I'll be on the look out for that next concept.......While you are on the lookout of that border eh?;) :cool: ..............Go with what you feel is right,others opinions are important of course,but in the end go with what pulls "YOU" the most........Now have a nice ride on that border,and get that concept in....I'll be looking for you........:arteest: :beer:

KennyM
11 November 2004, 11:33 PM
I have fond memories of the efteling:)
I like the concepts, the castle one is my favorite, it has something serene, peaceful about it.

the fighting cities idea is quite good too, nice symbolic touch, it might raise a few eyebrows ...but then again if it's not explicitly refering to any place, it's a general truth;)

kaajey
11 November 2004, 05:30 PM
Lots of interesting ideas here

Lets see what you will choose.
All the best to you

See this one>

Virtuoso
11 November 2004, 09:52 PM
Hi Gijs.......................Ok you can come back now....the border is safe........I hope you can get back to creating,and get some of your plans up here...........I'll be looking for you,all the best to you.....................:arteest: :beer:

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 06:16 PM
Tnx for your 'waiting-for-last-concept'-people replies! ;) I've been modelling the scene of that last concept some time ago; I'll 'post' it to place it here soon!

I'm still buzzy with the challange; It's just that I don't post all stuff ;) (like thinking of some details etc, while riding my bike in this 'beautiful-border-environment' ;) ).

Greeeetz & Last concept will be here soon,

Gijs

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 02:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1101566171_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1101566171_large.jpg)

And here's finally the last concept! :) The idea of a 'Troy 3000'-project, do I have for a really really long time ('bout 1 year!), but I never got to do something at it... Now I think it would be nice fitting in the GSO-theme!

It's around 2988; You can see a city; Troy is it called. The horse is - just like in the legend - a fake-horse, and it's not meant to be a gift! When the moon is rised, the up-to-4000 people will come out of the horse, and get the city in their hands! In fact, just like the original legend, but now in the future! :)

I'll have to make some choises, if I would pick this one for my final concept. For example I'll have to choose whether it's day or night, and whether the horse is made from scrap of the battlefield (would be cool; for example the head made of a broken plane :P ), or whether it is 'really nice made & nailed'...

I made it within 3Ds Max 5.0 (& scanline) and Photoshop 7.0 . Next concept is the 05b >>> made from a different angle...

Greetz, Gijs

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 02:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1101566513_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1101566513_large.jpg)

Just like the last post (concept 05a), but now from a different angle.

Something I forgot to tell in that last post, was the the city will be veeeery detailed and uge! There will be some 'air-ballons' in the air, and there will be little lights everywhere. Also there are watching crowds of curious people to the horse, when it's 'pulled' inside, by some robot-'trolls' (like off LotR 3 :) ).

You're right I will cost me lots of time, but I have x-mas holiday soon (3 weeks to go; first I've got exams next week :( ) so I'll be able to do it then! :)

Greetz, and from now you can post which one you like the best; I won't submit more concepts anymore ;) (time for the real work!).

Greetz and tnx for repliing about the best concept ;) ,

Gijs

RJofVFX
11 November 2004, 08:27 AM
I like the concept, allthough I have no idea of what would be the best way to represent it, will it be, like, a scene with men getting out of the horse and attacking the fort, or the moment of delivery of the horse, with maybe a slight hont of what's about to happen next? Anyway, i like how it looks. Good work!

overcontrast
11 November 2004, 08:44 AM
hey nice going buddy... seems like history is gonna repeat again... nice ideas u got... keep it up, ur doing it! :thumbsup:

masterchi
11 November 2004, 09:27 PM
Hi dutchman!

Nice concepts!! good luck

masterchi
11 November 2004, 09:27 PM
Hi dutchman!

Nice concepts!! good luck

Dutchman
11 November 2004, 09:28 PM
Tnx for that replies, friends! :) I'll 'reply personal' soon to all 'repliers'. :)

...allthough I have no idea of what would be the best way to represent it, will it be, like, a scene with men getting out of the horse and attacking the fort, or the moment of delivery of the horse, with maybe a slight hont of what's about to happen next?...Thats a point that also 'bothers' me a bit; I will have to make allot of important choises about that things, indeed, if I'd choose to work that further... An extra think I'd have to choise, is whether its in the morning (very early with a low sun; a bit 'foggy' atmosphere :) ), or in the evening (with allot lights everywhere to show the 'level of detail'; would also be interesting, wouldnt it?!)
Tnx for reminding me, in every case! :)

From now 'the voting is open'! Please reply to tell me which of these concepts you'd like the best (nr 1 --- 5), and maybe, if you have some time, some 'motivation' for this choise...! Thx for your time! :)

Greeetz, Gijs

[I'm damn buzzzy with my study at this moment, so I won't have time in the following 2 weeks to work on it... but at least I could think about some detailed stuff :) ]

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 06:55 PM
@ Virtuoso :: Thank you (again :)) for your reply! Of course I'll pick out the one I'm most motivated about, but indeed 'your' opinions are a must... :) And also ofcourse I'll have a nice ride on that border ;) (last time I sometimes just take a ride for an houre to just 'make ideas' for some projects and so on; works really good & peaceful). Of course also good luck at your GSO-project!

@ KennyM :: Nice to see somebody from around here, in my thread! :) Yóu can know how inspirating the Efteling is! Tnx for your comment; I'll think of it when deciding!

@ kaajey :: Tnx for the interest!

@ Liveman :: I like that you are really 'thinking with me'! (as I said before) I walked to the very same 'problems'/choises... If I'd choose the 'Troy 3000' concept to work out, I'll have to make allot choises indeed... And ofcourse tnx for you reply!

@ Overcontrast :: Your reply really motivates me! Thank you, and allot good luck btw, with your GSO! Looks very promising!

@ masterchi :: Tnx for your comment!

As I said before, 'vote' is open now! :) Because I want to have picked the concept for the final, next week (end (> frayday) of next week ;) ), I'd like if you people would reply with just which concept you like the best...

Very much tnx again for the replies and upcoming ones ;) ,

Gijs

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 08:36 PM
I hate to reply three time after each other, because I don't like to be looking thát unpatienced, but if I don't reply now, I'll never pick a concept....:shrug:

To make you more enthousiast about some concept, I post some ideas under here, that I wrote down about the different concepts:

-------------------------------------

M O V I N G E N E M I E S

- hair of the girl is made of sun-panels! (could be looking veeery nice! :) )
- motor for powering the whole stuff in the belly
- about 300-metres high ;)
- much detail & little lights
- woman > veeeery clean and working on electricity etc
- man > more like an orc (made of scrap of the battlefield?!), working on steam & oil & hydrolic
- mood like in the 'Hostile Takeover'-piece of art...? > very bright and glowy... Or like in my concept image?

P L A N E T S M E L T I N G T O G E T H E R

- really nice and big airships (formed like ships; think of that ones in Treasure Planet :) )
- many lights (makes the scene looking more detailed)
- very 'soft' look wished
- a sort of 'ski-lift' between the planets; for transportation of some stuff...
- displacement for craters on it, etc
- lowpoly in Max; detailing in ZBrush 2
- lots of green stuff (forrests ;) ); have to have a soft look >> play with translucency :)

T R O Y 3 0 0 0

- clean look or made of scrap of the battlefield?
- POV from top, of from along the legs of the horse (while soldiers are coming out?!)
- lighting >> light or dark?

-------------------------------------

I [i]really, really hope you'll reply about which I'll choose....! Really allot tnx in advance! I'm waiting for your opinion!

Greetz & tnx,

Gijs

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 04:25 PM
Owkeeey, still no reply... Time is getting short now (I have holiday now, so I have to be able to start at this moment :eek: :) ).... buuut... I still haven't picked one!

Could you people pleeeeeease post which one you like the best....? (of that 3) I really no-one replies, I think I'll pick the 'Moving Enemies'-one...

Thanks in advance,

Gijs

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 10:17 PM
- Tic Tac Tic Tac -

The clock keeps going.... and I still have to start! :eek: I really incredibly much hate myself to háve to reply 4 times after each other... but if really nobody can response... :(

The one who just can say which one he/she would recommend best to make as final, wil be my hero for at least a week! :shrug: :bounce:

Just PLEASE reply to tell me if the Moving Enemies would be the best choise, than I can finally get to begin... :shrug: :)

Tnx állot in advance,

Gijs

Virtuoso
12 December 2004, 10:36 AM
Hi Gijs..................Ok a little input for you my friend from just North of the border......;)

Planets melting together has a nice ring to it........But so does moving enemies.........I think with the time left you should go for moving enemies.......:arteest:

.......It sounds quite wild......I think you have your work cut out for you,but I think you can get whatyou want done with extra strong efforts.......I'll be here watching you and suporting you when I can..........Now go for it hard,non-stop,and have fun.........And dont forget.......Even if time becomes an issue just continue your plans in the WIP section,whats important is that you grow and get ideas/concepts finished........I would have been by earlier,but was out of town for a few days........But I'll be watching your next moves......so get to it strong......Until then,take care,work hard,have fun.........:arteest: :beer:

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 12:39 PM
Íncredibly much thanks for your comment, Virtuoso! :) You made me sure to pick the best one, and also gave me allot power! :) From now on I'll try to work on it as hard as possible; in every case there's no lack of motivation ;)

Friends..... I'm COMING! :) :bounce:

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 02:02 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104415319_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104415319_large.jpg)

I finally picked one concept, and it is the 'Moving Enemies'-one. I started by searching allot refs for what kind of people the 'big cities' should look like. I finally choosed that 'Liesbeth Staats' (a Dutch media-woman who is journalist for the 'kids-news on TV') would be good for it... Also I've choosen yet that the fighting (loosing) man will be Orlando Bloom :) .

On this pic I've marked some stuff... If you can read, you'll maybe understand... ;) Be sure the final model will not look like this, but that it will be looking like its made from metal!

Tnx for watching, and if you have time; add a comment! ;)

Virtuoso
12 December 2004, 10:14 AM
Ok get her rolling gijs......You know I'll be watching......Should be an interesting process......:arteest:

I want to also wish you A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR ............All the best to you......:beer: :beer:

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 12:51 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104497500_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104497500_large.jpg)

I now made also a 'sketch' for the man. As you'll see it has the face of 'Orlando Bloom'; I do totally have no knowlegde of 'male rides' ( ;) ), but I know my sister likes him... So, in the same way I choose a nice woman, I've choosen to also use this 'nice' man. :)

It will be a more 'rough' looking 'city'. All in the city is about fighting... In the city of the woman there are nice houses, and theres a nice mood; in the city of the man will just be a will to fight! Just like the Orcs in 'the Lord of the Rings'. My mission about thís city is to make it look like one of the elephants in LotR 3, but than 'human'. ;)

Some ideas I had: instead of like the clean woman (just steel plates etc), this must look quit dirty. Allot rust and smoke everywhere. Instead of being powered with elektricity (the woman >> elektricity made with the suncell on her head), this city will be powered by steam! Allot mechanical and steamy stuff must be in it! Maybe (I'm not yet convinced to use that idea) it will be powered by wood that comes of the forrest on his very head (looks like his hair >> in fact it is a forrest). More ideas will be reveled in the upcoming time ;)

Tnx for watching my thread, and please reply :) ,

Gijs

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 02:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104503477_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104503477_large.jpg)

My last 2D work before going 3D! (I hope so ;) ) As you can see its the same girl as in the last image with the girl, but here from the side. Tnx to some 'telly-capper' (some guy who loved to capture frames out of televisionprograms ;) ) to have a great image of 'Liesbeth' from the side. It'll help me allot to model her after the images :)

Something I forgot to mention before, is that the girls body comes from the xmas present from 3D.sk (thank you so much guys! :) ); only the head is of Liesbeth.

I'll go 3D now! :) Please put some comments or critique here & tnx for watching,

Gijs

Dutchman
12 December 2004, 02:37 PM
@ Virtuoso : tnx for the interrest in my project! :) You really push and drive me to work on this! :) And... happy newyear too ofcourse! :)

To yóu watching my thread ríght now; please press the 'reply' button :rolleyes: :bounce:

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:44 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104781460_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104781460_large.jpg)

I'm back! I've worked quit very hard on the GSO-contest the last 4 days...! I've júst finished modelling a sort of '3D blueprint', to built all houses (of the city :) ) and mechanical stuff on. I want to try to stick fairly close to this model.

In this image you can see the 'making of' the head of it. Done in 3Ds Max (with blueprint references; posted before) to get the figure, later 'tweaked' in ZBrush(2). Only the last step of the ones showed at the image, is out of ZBrush. In 3Ds Max I began with a box, turned it to an editable poly, and kept modeling.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104781659_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104781659_large.jpg)

Just like the last one, but now this shows modelling the body of the '3D-blueprint-model'.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104781884_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104781884_large.jpg)

Screenshot made while tweaking the fusion between the body and head. You can see the 'blueprints' at the back.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:55 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104782113_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1104782113_large.jpg)

In this image I just show the body of. :)

From now on it will be big fun, because now I can start with the veeery detailed stuff! :) I'm really looking forward myself to begin it! My head bangs open of ideas, so it will be just great to make! :)

Please keep checking and repliing my thread, for sure now the 'real' part is about to begin!

Thanks for your reply, and happy newyear (bit late... ;) ),

Gijs

Virtuoso
01 January 2005, 11:19 AM
Nice to see you started Gijs.................i'll look to see the next steps you come up with.....It's about time you got some modeling going.:wip: ........You look to have a clear plan......and the best part of this all is the passion i see you have with your work and up-coming plans......This alone will push you forward more than anything else in the long run.............I'll be looking as I promised.........Now get it going strong........:arteest:

M477
01 January 2005, 11:44 AM
Hey Gijs happy new year! :beer:

Sorry i haven't been here lately what with Christmas and all (new year resolution for self, make an effort). It looks like you're firing on all engines with your GSO right now, so not too much to say other than I'm looking forward to seeing the details and will be back to see how you are getting on for sure! I think you are moving in the right direction so.. keep going!

:bounce: :bounce:

PeterSanitra
01 January 2005, 12:04 PM
i think that the legs are too short

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 10:21 AM
@ Virtuoso :: As always you make me (even ;) ) more motivated! :) I'm being working very hard on it right now...!

@ M477 :: Tnx for putting me under pressure. ;) I'm being working veeeery hard on the details, so we'll see :)

@ Darkone2652 :: Hmm, the legs to short... I exactly modelled them after the blueprintrefs, so maybe the girl from 3D.sk just has short legs...?! ;) If there are more people who think the same, I can change it unless :)

For such a uge project (for me it ís uge ;) ), I have to plan all things carefully, and its hard to get to the real stuff because all is so big, and detailed... Now I've made some 'levels' on the model (began with the torso), and tried to model some houses of some poly-boxes... But there are 2 problems:

1) It costs quite some time to get a house modelled out...
2) The style doesn't look thát good; I want not to put a meshsmooth over the houses, so I've got some meshes with hard edges... Doesn't look very nice... :shrug:

Now I've been thinking how to solve the problem, and I was thinking of:
1) Using displacement maps; making a plane in Max, putting a displacement modifier on it, and draw a disp-map in PS... Then I'd get the houses fast and nice modelled
2) Making a 'houses-toolkit'; making some stairs, bases of the houses, windows, doors and so on. Then I'd get some of those elements together to make about 25 different houses, and just cloning them on the torso / breast of 'Liesbeth'... :)

I'm thinking of picking the last option... But please let me know what would be the best... (especially if your expirienced with modelling houses / arcitectural stuff) :bounce:

Updates soon!,

Gijs

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105031360_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105031360_large.jpg)

So heres the 'soon update'... ;) The problem at this moment, is that I'm totally nót satisfied with the results of today modelling... The modelling just doesn't look good, and I don't have much architectural inspiration...

Maybe somebody can tell me what would be the best way to continue... Making a disp-map (as mentioned before) or modelling in another way...

Thanks for your time, and especially if your experienced with architectural / detailed stuff; REPLY! ;)

Greeetz, Gijs

Virtuoso
01 January 2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Gijs.................Well your "Special" :thumbsup: little idea is off to a nice start.I like the simple but effective shapes of the buildings twisting there way around the body........

Nice little fencing,extra props (lampsots signs,etc,eyt...) too will add to the lived in look eventually......Real nice to see you off and running Gijs......Keep going with it,nice start.......:arteest:

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 01:52 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105149171_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105149171_large.jpg)

Thanks to the nice comment of Virtuoso, I was getting more motivated to go on the way I was going, and nót to switch for using displacement-maps or so, for the modelling.

Last day I've worked quite very hard ( :) ) and have finished some new buildings / houses / props! I'm allot more satisfied with the 'new ones' (made today, well in fact yet yesterday ;) ) then the ones I posted before... It's becoming kind'a dreaming in polys... ;)

On this sheet you can see the modelled stuff and two screens of 3Ds Max. More under here!

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 01:58 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105149491_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105149491_large.jpg)

And here's the stuff of the last reply, but now pasted on that '3D blueprint'! :) As you can see I just placed it away on the breast, for a kind of 'chaos' look (without structure), and at the lower levels more 'carefully', as in a expensive-houses-area... :) [so there's something more behind it that that it would be only to save time ;) ]. I'll try detailing it a bit more, but I think the modelling of these parts will be almost done... (texturing can do some magic ;) ).

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 02:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105149787_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105149787_large.jpg)

Same description as that last entry; these images just didn't fit anymore on my 'pre-made' 2D grid ;)

I hope you'll like this stuff, I myself am at least quite satisfied (at least more than before Virtuoso's post ;) ) of this last work...

Please post a comment / critique; I'm waiting for them ;) (while modelling on ofcourse ;) ). I myself am getting some sleep (its 3 'a night now over here, and I'm getting quite tired ;) ).

Tnx for your reply, if you do that;
Gijs

Aethyrprime
01 January 2005, 09:32 AM
Great job on the torso. It looks very intricate. Nicely done Gijs. Keep at it.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105281568_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105281568_large.jpg)

I've been modeling on, for quite al long time (out of bed at 6 'o clock this morning, to work on it! :) ), and have added some detail to the torso. The building crane and the fences at the sides of the levels, are added stuff. The torso is finished now (for modeling); no more time to spend on this... :( ;)

For interested people of how I render my WIPs; I place a skylight, with a multiplier of 0,8 ; make a standart blinn material which I give a self illumination of 30 %; choose for the 'lighttracer', and push the 'render' button! :)

I did some small lighting tests last night with the 'override material' and Radiosity light-solution, and I'm thinking of using it to let my small prop-lights really emit light to the houses! :)

In fact I'm quite satisfied with the modelling result of the torso - for such a short time -.

I know time is running short, and I feel my computer is running slower and slower, but I just 'feel' I have to and I'll finish it in time. :)

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 02:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105281752_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105281752_large.jpg)

Here I show you some 'mechanical/technical' detail that I made for the underbody detailing... Also you can see the (almost) finished underbody... It isn't as interesting as the torso - I know - but otherwise time runs veeery short...

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 02:51 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105282282_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105282282_large.jpg)

Here you can see a test of the fusion of the underbody and the torso. As you can see the scales do not really match... Thats something quite disappionting... I'm not sure of changing it, or to let it as it is at this moment, to give it a stronger perspective...

Also her belly is a bit to thin; I know; but thats because I used a push-modifier in the torso, and not in the under-body. In the 'final-fusion' that will be no problem (then I'll fix it :) ).

If theres really to less time to finish the project in the way Í want (with the girl ánd boy), I'd make it in a different way... (with only the girl; later on once making the complete one, with also a boy) Do you great people (! :) ) have ideas for that scene...

I'm just at this moment thinking of the girl (really úge girl :) ) sitting down on the ground with ruiines of 'cathedrals' etc, with a flower in her hand.... Would be also really interesting (!?!) and would cost me less time...!

Állot thanks for your time, and thanks if you reply, if you reply...

Greetz of a buzzy me,
Gijs

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 10:38 PM
@ Virtuoso :: Unless it's becoming a sort of 'standard' to post in this way about you ( :bounce: ), I unless want to say it again; you always blow my motivation up állot with you comments! This time I was quite very desperate because Í didn't think the modeling was going that good, but because of your comment, I just kept going on till I was even satisfied with it! :) BTW; as you can see I've done what you recommended; I've added some details that will give is a more 'living' look...! If you go on with giving such comment you risk a 50 % credit of my final! :applause:

@ DMM (?!) :: Allot thanks for giving that kind comment...! You also motivated my allot! :)

At this point (along today), I've decided to not anymore make twó people for the final of this contest, because there's just not enough time...:shrug: As mentioned before I'll (maybe) finish one with the two people unless, and will post it in the Completed Artwork-section... But thats something for later (read: after next week ;) ).

I really really hope some nice people can give me some input of the way I could represent the girl in her own... As said before, I myself was thinking of:

That she pickes a flower of cupper (cuprum?) and looking at it... with at her feet at very uge (but small in the composition ;) ) destroyed cathedral... and around there allot ruines etc etc...

I really really 'pray' somebody (or more people :rolleyes: ) can give comments to my modeled stuff, and to this 'new temporary concept'. Really allot thanks for it...!

I'm going to sleep now, tomorrow school begins again over here ( :( ), so I'll begin at 6 'o clock (same as today) working on the challange. :) I myself think I'll be able to manage all before monday night, next week... (I've 'said to myself' that I'm not going to sleep next saturnday, before my mouse clicked 'render' for rendering the final >>> I have a complete sunday for post-processing!

Greeetz & really állot thanks if you reply,
Gijs

Virtuoso
01 January 2005, 10:06 PM
Your modeling has turned out real well Gijs............Good idea to go with one and not both,due to time constraints.......

I think the overall feel is real nice,I can see the potential behind this.Plus the mood and ambiance in this piece is high on potential......

I can only say that you do what you can.And not rush this for a final here in the challenge.I think the potential to continue this and finish this at it's potential far out weigh a challenge finish.I think if you rush this the full potential will not be met.I think you should take this to the WIP section,and give this idea the full attention and time it deserves......With time you can show this as it should be shown,with full details and those added touches that will bring it to life.If you do this just for a challenge finish it will not have the same impact as it could with more time and attention to details.......
Finishing the challenge would be great,But from what I can see to finish this as it "Should" be finished you would lose alot of it's "Potential" impact.You would have a very nice design/idea and a half way finished product,But to finish this proper with all it's potential in the WIP section you would get a much better end result in the long run,and a much nicer portfolio piece to go with it.........

I hope you get my meaning.I would like to help with some thoughts on this,it's my thing really.But to suggest now would be too mcuh for this praticulat challenge deadline......But would be willing to help if you take this to the WIp section,I have some things in mind for this that I think can really help in bringing it's potential to where it belongs........

Ok,see you for now Gijs,I really like the idea behind this,It's a very unique one,and I hope to see it reach it's potential soon.........Until later see you,and all the best..........:arteest: :arteest:

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 11:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105486285_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105486285_large.jpg)

Because time is running short now, I've decided in every case, to take away the 'man' (poor Orlando ;) ) from the scene, so that I can completaly focus on the Girl.

As you could read before, I'm planning to give the girl a flower in the final; ofcourse a one that would be really tall for us 'normal people'. In the centre of the flower are allot lightbulbs, that make a dynamic glow in the final image. The girl touches the light(s), and there happends something special; a blue fairy (Pinoccio; Artificial Intelligence) arrives! She has a sort of 'blue moblur' behind her, and transforms the 'big city girl' into a 'really alive big girl'... A new era has born; the era of the big people...!

In this way I can put al the 'must-have-in-your-concept' ('Iconical image....' >> in the rules) and also some more 'abstract' stuff. And also, it would cost me less time to make!

Pleeeeease reply what you do think of this idea, I really need replies!

Greeetz & Tnx for that replies ;) ,
Gijs

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 05:14 PM
@ Virtuoso :: First of all; again thanks for reply on my thread...! All the time I'm really 'honored' to get so much attention from you! :)

Second; I totally understand what you mean with 'not rushing for the deadline here'... I know that if I would finish/complete this project for this challange, I would be 'just one of the 1780 users who entry', and I'd get almost no comments / admiring on my final... But if I'd submit it 'sometime later' I'd maybe even get a frontpage plug!?!:shrug: And in fact you áre right; the quality of the work will decrease if I have to rush...

But there are some 'problems';
1) I'd really like to now finish a work finally, and to be 'able' to be pride of it... And because 'without a deadline' I never be able to finish work, I'd probably never finish it...:surprised
2) I've been working quite very hard on it last weekend... (long nights) So it'd be confusing to have 'stressed' that much for nothing....
3) With my Machineflesh stuff, I also was to late with entriing the final...

I also don't know which project I would finish áfter the GSO deadline; the concept of the fighting people or the one with the blue fairy...

In fact I'm thinking of 'trying' to finish the blue-fairy one for this contest, and probably make the one of the moving enemies (with maybe even more detail :rolleyes: ) to entry in the '3D Completed Artwork' / continue as a WIP in the WIP section... :)
But the problem thán is that the concept of 'a very big, detailed city with the shape of a human' is unoriginal, because I used it before...:shrug:

I just don't know it now... As seen above, I'm not completaly sure of picking one of the 'ways of finishing'...

Íf I'm going to (try) to finish this contest for the deadline, this will be the planning:

Friday : Modelling finished
Saturnday : Texturing (shading) / Composing in final scene finished
Saturnday night : Rendering
Sunday : Post-processing & Completing & Uploading
Monday : Sleeping ( ;) )

I'd really, really wish to get some comments.... I just DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!! :eek:

If you reply, I'll be your fan! :)

Greetz, and tnx for watching,
Gijs

Monomorphic
01 January 2005, 04:02 PM
Wow man... you're a much better modeler than i am. I love your attention to detail. lots of geometry... lots going on. Keep when are you going to post your final? :thumbsup:

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 06:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105985267_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105985267_large.jpg)

SURPRISE!

Heey all you dear friends :) ,

Unless my 'great friend' ( :) ) Virtuoso told me it would be the best to not (try) to finish this challenge, I felt quite sad about it... As explained earlier in this thread, I agreed with his points, but if I wouldn't finish it, I would ágain not have finished a challenge (second time over here), ánd all time I invested in it (to work on this project instead of school :eek: ), would be just 'for nothing'.

So, to make you 'vote-rs' clear that I really 'had' something, I planed to make a sort of 'nice WIP-render' to send in as a final...
But as you can see it turned into something quite 'nice' >> a well worth final in my very own opinion... (not meant to sound selfish or so!) :)

I just choosed a POV within the scene with the stuff I allready had. On this cell you can see my Point Of View and the modelling used for the final.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 06:13 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105985608_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105985608_large.jpg)

This just is the lighting; on the top of the cell you see a screenshot of the lights in Max, on the bottom you can see the various testrenders for the lighting.

For the lighting I only used some omnis; mainly orange and yellow lighted, the side lights (left side lights) are blue-tinted. All are setted to emit light for diffuse; one is a ambient light.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 06:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105986144_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105986144_large.jpg)

I made one rendering using the lightrig showed on the last milestone, I made the other rendering with fake Global Illumination - made with the E-Light script (which works really easy and powerfull to me :) ).
I first tried to render it with a skylight and lightracer, but that would take ages (at the resolution of 3650 x 2738!).

At the bottom of the cell you can see a mask layer I rendered. I did this using 2 different materials; a 100% self-illuminating black and a 100% self-illuminating white. The areas I wanted to mask, I turned to white, the other to black.

In this way (with that masks) I would have more control of my 'texturing' in Photoshop. (not óne texture is used in the scene! for the rendering I just used óne material!)

I rendered masks for:
- main planes (the 'rough body')
- the eyes
- the houses
- the fences and 'levels' and props

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 06:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105986467_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105986467_large.jpg)

To have a good base for the 'underlaying' earth in the composition stage, I rendered a background containing the earth. The lighting just excists of two lights, the model is just one sphere. The only texture-map I used in this whole project, was the 'earth'-map I mapped onto that sphere. :)

essencedesign
01 January 2005, 06:41 PM
Hurry Man ...Hurry...not much time left....get this thing put together..I really want to see it finished >>

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105988687_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105988687_large.jpg)

[note: all I'm posting here is just because it stil has to be posted; I yet have the (almost) final here! Just posting all stuff I did in the weekend, so no stress over here! :) ]

Here you can see how I textured the whole body. After the rendering in Max (as well of the diffuse renders, as of the mask-renders), I imported the lighted renders into Photoshop, to put them together to get a nice lighting/mood.

Then I made a new layer to which I applied the pre-rendered masks. I setted it to 'overlay' to get the best 'fusion' between post and 3D. Then I just painted around (was really fun!) with a quite rough brush (natural one, not an airbrush). I did do it with this brush to get the best 'rusty effect' and also to put an own 'style' in my image.

I just repeated this steps for the several elements :) .

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:11 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989091_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989091_large.jpg)

Here you can see an overview of the layers used for the final composition. As you can see I didn't remove or merge much of them, but thats just my way of working; I like to have much freedom in this process (playing with much layers). :)

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989436_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989436_large.jpg)

Here you can see some 'splitted' Photoshop work.

The background (with the render used on it), and the body overpaint (with the renders to be invisible).
The 'body overpaint' shows that I've posted quite much on the render!

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989740_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989740_large.jpg)

Render Vs. (almost) Final. Here you can clearly see that the mood really comes out of the posting, and not out of the render itself... (in this case...)

By the way people who're interested in it; I created the glowing lights in the following way:
1) Drawing little dots on the places where light is emitted through the windows etc (in a new layer, btw)
2) Brighten it up
3) Duplicate it and put a Gaussian Blur over it
4) Duplicate that layer a few times, and merge them together, to get a 'brighter' look
5) Duplicate thát layer ones, and put a Gaussian Blur over it (with a big radius), and set this layer to 'overlay' >> this results in brighter lighted areas in the image itselves.

The result of the lights looks quite nice, isn't it?!

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 07:26 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989961_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105989961_large.jpg)

As you can read; this is álmost final... Just a few little tweaks to do (really little tweaks... :) )

Please tell me if you like it so far, and if you have some 'simple' adjustments, I could do very fast... :)

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 08:25 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105993529_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105993529_large.jpg)

As you can see; the FINAL! I made it this time - even without stress today - ! :)

Some close-up shots are on the way...!

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105994236_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105994236_large.jpg)

As you can see; closeup 1 of the final.

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105995290_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105995290_large.jpg)

And another closeup...

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105995463_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/7/4689/4689_1105995463_large.jpg)

And the last closeup on the final...!

This is a nice time to place some 'special thanks' here :) :

My family (father, mother, Stijn, Leontien, Anne)

All my friends of school :) ; especially: Ernst-Jan, Kim, Liesbeth, Krijn (aka krvabo), Joey, Roy, Shakila, Jelmer, Erwin, Patrice :)

Friends of outside school; Bas, Jordi, Erwin, Michel

Gijs (aka Kinetix), Hans Lips

People who replied here in my tread or / and who where interested in this project. To mention special: Virtuoso :)

The mods and ads who organized such cool challenge. Also the sponsors for giving such cool prizes.

So, allot thanks to you all! :)

Please keep repliing to tell me what you think of it...! I'd really appriciate that...
I think I'll go on with the other composition-concept in the WIP section... Maybe we'll meet there again.

See you later,
Gijs Leijdekkers

M477
01 January 2005, 05:22 PM
Hey, well done on completing your image. It looks awsome, you must be pleased with the final results. Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 05:07 PM
@ Essencedesign :: Thanks for 'putting me under pressure' :) , but it was not very nessesary because I had at that moment almost finished it ;)

@ M477 :: Thanks for liking it! :) In fact I ám fairly pleasured with the final... at least now I can show people what I'm able to make, with just óne image ;) :) Also I'm going to make a print of it (at 'postersize'), to put on my very own chamber (= workroom ;) )

I'll be posting some highres wallpapers soon... just for the interested people. :)

I stil would like to have some more comments / crits... :)

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies,
Gijs

Virtuoso
01 January 2005, 08:08 PM
You really pulled out quite a nice entey Gijs......You are a young man and I can tell you have a great future in this........I know you wanted to finish,and that is important.only 139 people did out of some 1400 or so.It's important in the industry and a major criteria.......

It turned out quite nice,i do like it.great effort on your part.You did quite a bit in the end here to get it this way.Good job.A very nice idea to begin with....And a very nice whimsical feel and mood to finish......:arteest:

We will meet again.PM me when you show more work,I will come to support you.You have a great attitude and potential is high with you,work hard and well as I know you will.But always continue to have fun,I know you will.......:cool:

Until we meet again.Keep that beautiful border great for us.......All the best to you.....:beer: :arteest:

A3DLover
01 January 2005, 10:31 PM
Pretty fantastic imagination, The whole sries of pics are great I'll bet the choice for your final image was a tuff one.

Good Luck

Dutchman
01 January 2005, 10:45 AM
@ Virtuoso :: Incredibly much thanks for (again) such a kind reply! You know; you give me allot strength to work on with all my projects! You make me sure it was worth the stress! :)
And ofcourse we'll meet again...! I'm looking forward to 'our' next challenge :twisted: :bounce:

@ A3DLover :: Thanks for the nice comment! And... that 3 last shots are 'just' close-ups; not finals (the final is called 'final' as reply subject :) ). For if you had it wrong ;)

Some file specs and so are on the run...! :)

Please keep replying...! Now 'this' is finally finished I'd like to hear more about if you like it or not... :)

Great & Everybody: VOTE! (not just on me ;) ; also to other greatest entries!),
Gijs

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.