View Full Version : 19" & 21" Monitors: Dot pitch question

Rasper
10 October 2004, 04:44 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding sharpness and quality of image on monitors.
I already know that the lower te dot pitch is, the sharper the image is, because the pixels are placed closer together.
But now that I'm looking around for a new monitor (my 17" LG 795FT is beginning to die on me, + I need a bigger screen).
I looked at 19" first, but I'd have to say it's quite tempting to be looking at 21" monitors as well :D .

But now my question:
There are monitors with .24 dot pitch, and there are monitors with .25 dot pitch,... but am I better of buying a 21" with .25 dot pitch, or a 19" with .24 dot pitch? I can imagine higher resolutions are possible on 21", but are they still as sharp as a .24 dot pitch monitor?
My current 17" has .24 dot pitch so I'm afraid I already spoiled my eyes so a .25 dot pitch will look blurry :curious:

ps: to give an Idea of what I'm looking at:
- Philips 109P40 (.24 dot pitch) 19"
- Philips 201B40 (.25 dot pitch) 21"
- Philips 202P40 (.24 dot pitch) 22"

Hope to hear from you guys
Thanks for reading!

brudney
10 October 2004, 04:56 PM
definitely go for the bigger screen size. correct me if i'm wrong, but it's basically impossible to notice the difference between .24 and .25 dot pitch.

CoolDuck
10 October 2004, 05:06 PM
I would definitely go for the 22" monitor, the P series. I have a 109P40 now and I LOVE IT! :bounce:

The display is cristal clear and colors are superb. The brightness is also very good. I wish I had bought a 22" version instead of a 19", I need those extra space, but love my Philips anyhow... :)

Rasper
10 October 2004, 08:00 PM
I would definitely go for the 22" monitor, the P series. I have a 109P40 now and I LOVE IT! :bounce:

The display is cristal clear and colors are superb. The brightness is also very good. I wish I had bought a 22" version instead of a 19", I need those extra space, but love my Philips anyhow... :)
Well yeah, I think I'll have that same problem, loving the 19" at first, but wanting more after a while ;)

I can imagine the 22" P-series rock, but they also are twice the price you pay for the 17", so could anyone tell me if the B-series is recommended either? (the 21" .25 dot pitch)

Hazdaz
10 October 2004, 03:38 AM
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a .24 or .25 pot pitch screen. BUT before you buy anything, I would recommend you actually LOOK at the different monitors in person. Stuff like that, in my opinion, NEED first-hand account of what they look like - a review in a magazine just doesn't cut it for me.

Rasper
10 October 2004, 12:30 PM
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a .24 or .25 pot pitch screen. BUT before you buy anything, I would recommend you actually LOOK at the different monitors in person. Stuff like that, in my opinion, NEED first-hand account of what they look like - a review in a magazine just doesn't cut it for me.
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I would recommand that to anyone myself ... but the problem is that in my town there isn't any big hardwarestore that displays a great variety of CRT monitors, especially not the 19"+ ones. I've looked around in the region and learned that most of the computer stores or electronic stores nowadays don't even bother anymore to sell CRT-monitors. It's all TFT :sad: But my quest continues :)

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.