View Full Version : UV Bump Map problems...

Serif
10 October 2004, 01:03 PM
I'm working on the wheels to my McLaren F1 and have finally got around to adding the tread. I created a seamless bump map in Photoshop and applied it to my UV map of the tread surface.

I feel like I am losing my mind over this "problem". As a test, I go into layout and begin tweaking the bump values. The problem is that my map is not creating the bumps I designed, but rather bumps (and jagged ones at that) of outlines. See the photos for reference. I expect the black areas to make a depression, but I am getting only outlines... of some sort. It could be either an outlike of the gray or black area.... I don't know.

For what it's worth, this error occues both in fPrime and LW's native renderer. I have adjusted the bump map and all bump settings. I'm out of ideas.

http://www.cghaus.com/misc/ref/tirebumperror.jpg

http://www.cghaus.com/misc/ref/tire_tread_bump.jpg

leigh
10 October 2004, 01:14 PM
Heh no that isn't an error. It only looks like outlines because the white areas are being raised. That bump map is acting exactly the way I would expect it to :) You should also never use Texture Amplitude values over 5, as it looks a bit strained. If you need the tread to look that strong, you should model the actual detail or consider using displacement (although LightWave has very poor displacement mapping).

Serif
10 October 2004, 03:35 PM
I guess my expectations were that I would get a really nice noticable geometry deformation. I think you're right... perhaps I need to model the tread. I want to be able to come in close with the camera and see some serious tread. As for the sidewalls... those can probably be bumped.

Triple G
10 October 2004, 07:45 PM
If you make your white areas 50% grey (128 128 128), I think you should get results closer to what you're expecting.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.