LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Wings Flip Normals

09-25-2004, 06:40 AM
Hi I'm new to Wings3D modeling, and am having trouble finding where to flip some normals back to facing the right direction, can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

09-25-2004, 08:16 AM
it's called 'Invert' in wings :)

09-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks azazel, invert was the one action I purposely skipped.

09-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Incase you don't know where 'invert' is. You have to select the object in body mode > Right click > Invert. :)

09-29-2004, 07:15 PM
tnx any 1 again but about this topic invert or that we named it flip normal only is avilable for whole object?for instance if u wana flip a face of object what is the way?

10-07-2004, 01:54 PM
No, it is not possible. Wings can only handle 2-manifold geometry, AFAIK. Neighbouring faces with opposite normals are an example of non-manifold geometry. Other examples are edges shared by more than 2 faces or faces that share only one vertex.
Anyway, such normals are illegal in winged edge topology, which treats a body as a chunk of sculpey.
Why is it you need to flip normals selectively? In case you need a hole, assign the hole material.

10-08-2004, 05:10 AM
In case you need a hole, assign the hole material.
Or, select the face, Right click > Intrude. :thumbsup:

10-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Personally, I wouldn't suggest using Intrude - unless you want the specific (type of) result you get from using it. Cos -

1) You'll introduce much more (probably unwanted) geometry, as you're creating an 'inside' set of faces to the original object whilst making a 'shell' of uniform thickness.

2) With some shapes - it can produce weird results as it 'folds back on itself'

If you're after making holes / tunnels thro' the object or indents / depressions etc - try using Face | Bridge / Extrude (region) / Bump for a start.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.