View Full Version : character wakes up - please critique

southparx
09 September 2004, 11:06 PM
hello everyone,

i just did a scene for my college project, where the main character is waking up;
i'm new to animating and i have never had traditional background ( i go to multimedia college, but i took the courage to do a character animation project http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif ).

so all kinds of inputs, critiques and pointers are very appreciated, like i think in the timing are all wrong, it looks floaty on the arms, but with your kind helps, perhaps i can make it better.

btw, sorry if the character is very Killer Bean look-alike, when i showed the sketch, my lecturers like it so i thought i'll give it a go.

here's the link to the file, please right click then save target as
http://cc.1asphost.com/southparx/test6.mov123

you might notice the extension is .mov123 instead of .mov ;
i did this because the free hosting site i'm currently using doesn't allow certain filetypes,
so please rename it to .mov

sorry for the inconvenience, and thank's in advance

Suricate
09 September 2004, 06:16 AM
Hi southparx,

I think in your animation too many things are happening too fast at the same time which makes it rather floaty. I like the arm movement at the end of the scene, but for the general order of things I would suggest you try it like this:
1. One eye opens (first half-open, then fiully opened) and starts looking around.
2. After a while, the other eye opens as well.
3. The caracter moves arms and feet a little.
4. The character bends a little, but then goes back flat on the ground.
5. Finally, the character gets up.

Just my 2 cents. BTW, nice character !

southparx
09 September 2004, 12:17 PM
thanks Suricate,

hmm you're right about 'too many things happening at the same time', i thought what i have in mind is not making it stiff but i guess i've overdone it; i'll work on the middle part some more.

wow your suggestion about the character bends a little then lies back flat is exactly the same with my housemate's.

okay, i'll see what i can do about this one little scene, thank you for your time,
and really glad someone likes the character :)

have a good day.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.