XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Grass rendering, plz help!

09-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

i am working on an architectural project for my school and i need to render plan views of a building as well as its exterior.

there are some grass spaces on the exterior and i want to find out what is the best way of doing this. (rendering with mr for maya)

i don't want to use just a grass texture because the render comes out like grass tiles
what can i do to make it look more realistic??

1) fur ---> grass (with textured density?)

2) grass shader

2.1) blend two different grass textures? (with what blender?)
2.2)work with ramps?(need help here!)

any help will be appreciated

thanks in advance,

09-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Instead of fur you could use paint effects converted to polygons to render them with mental ray.

09-05-2004, 08:48 AM
If Maya's Mental Ray crashes when painting large fields of grass (converted paintFX), you should only make just 1 or 2 different grassstrokes, not to complex and big, convert those to polygons and use the Instancer to duplicate these grasspieces to make a whole field. Should work nicely.

09-05-2004, 01:02 PM
I would try a grass shader first and pfx/fur on
places where its needed (closeups).
For grass shader try a combination of procedural
textures, theres some great examples on highend.

09-05-2004, 01:51 PM
thanks for the reply guys!

i tried to create a grass shader by blending two different grass textures but i am not satisfied with the result.

any suggestions for which blending method i should choose?
tried noise and fractal.

pfx converted to mesh needs a lot of memmory since the grass area is big enough.

with hair it renders ok but i don't know how to create a random grass color (per hair)
perhaps texture color?
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand this)

thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.