View Full Version : laptop hotkeys (blender noob)

gurubvin
07 July 2004, 02:01 PM
blender assigns some hotkeys to the numpad, which is missing from most laptops. without buying a usb numpad, is there a way to get these hotkeys working on a laptop. what i'm particularly concerned about is view manipulation. thank you.

gabio
07 July 2004, 02:04 PM
user preference -> System & opengl -> emulate numpad.

i think this will make it.

gurubvin
07 July 2004, 03:18 PM
thank you very much. i will try that

bassplayer
07 July 2004, 01:42 PM
I just installed Blender 2.33a last night on my PowerBook. Under preferences, there is an option to have the number row perform the numpad functions. I selected that and it worked for me.

Now if I can just figure out how to emulate middle & right clicks (or break down and buy a real mouse! :) ).

Apollux
07 July 2004, 11:58 PM
I just installed Blender 2.33a last night on my PowerBook. Under preferences, there is an option to have the number row perform the numpad functions. I selected that and it worked for me.

Now if I can just figure out how to emulate middle & right clicks (or break down and buy a real mouse! :) ).

Middle click is automatically emulated (in all plafforms) if you press down ALT while clicking with you left (or single) button.

As for the right click, I am not a Mac user, but there must be a way since they are so many Apple/Blender users out there.

keitai
07 July 2004, 06:21 PM
gurubvin,

i had to use FN-button on my laptop to access the numpad.

Maybe this help

bassplayer
07 July 2004, 02:57 PM
Middle click is automatically emulated (in all plafforms) if you press down ALT while clicking with you left (or single) button.

As for the right click, I am not a Mac user, but there must be a way since they are so many Apple/Blender users out there.
Normally, right click is emulated by CTRL+Mouse. I think this works with Blender as well, but to me, a multi-button mouse makes more sense workflow wise.

As an aside, does anyone know where I can find a nice printable page of all the keyboard shortcuts? I'm starting to learn the keystrokes for move, scale, rotate, etc., but I'm thinking a handy-dandy shortcut sheet would make life much easier.

Apollux
07 July 2004, 03:14 PM
As an aside, does anyone know where I can find a nice printable page of all the keyboard shortcuts? I'm starting to learn the keystrokes for move, scale, rotate, etc., but I'm thinking a handy-dandy shortcut sheet would make life much easier. There was a basic one right into Blender. It seems to be removed from the newer versions, but if you get an older one, Open a text window, and select "New" from the drop-down list, one of the options available will be a shortcut list.

Besides, there are a few web-sites maitaining shortcut lists for Blender, just need to google around.

EDIT**
My mistake, you don' t need an old version, you just need a .blend file made with an old version, since the shorcut list was automatically hidden inside every file by default. It was hidden as an unused text buffer.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.