View Full Version : Character for hl2 mod: Stalker
06 June 2004, 07:18 PM
This is my first low-poly character. It's a stalker for hl2 mod Boone's End (http://www.boones-end.com). This is around 5000 tris, 2 1024x1024 maps(diffuse and normal.) Original concept by Nightowl from our team.
06 June 2004, 10:22 PM
Looks pretty scary...nothing I'd ever want to meet :)
Now, for some critique! :) (the good part!)
I presume you exaggerated the proportions, so I won't comment on that - however I will comment on another anatomy-issue:
The neck/chest/arm (the upper torso, basically).
Even though he's no human, it doesn't look right at all.
Instead of trying to explain in words what you should do to fix it, take a very close look at these pictures (all hail Loomis :P).
Especially how the arm and its muscles are attached to the torso. Take extra note to the biceps and shoulders - 'cause yours are way off at the moment.
Also, you might want to define his chestmuscles a bit.
Keep up the good work though, and best of luck to you with your mod :)
06 June 2004, 10:34 PM
Good looking character, well done. My largest critique is the texture map. It's a good base you have but the combination of blood and bump make it just too busy imho. Try to use a little more discriminate use of bumps and rethink the blood, right now it just seems arbitrary. Think of how it would flow down the body, riverletting in the center of the chest, as it chews on some hapless soul; and maybe some more around the claws. Right now it just seems overdone. But, well done charachter! :thumbsup:
06 June 2004, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I agree I didnt pay much attention to muscle structure.. Could you point out places that are most off because I couldnt spot very bad mistakes as you told. Do you mean actual geometry or details in the normal map? I think that biceps upper part isnt very good. And the part where arm attaches to torso doesnt have detail because I had to flatten the normal map there.
For the textures, that blood is supposed to look messed old blood around the wounds, but Im not a good texture painter either.
What do you think of the poly usage? Could u tell if i should have used 5000 polys better?
06 June 2004, 04:54 PM
I took the liberty to do a quick paint-over of your wireframe picture, to try and mark out where you could fix things, anatomy-wise - hope you don't mind :)
It's pretty rough as you can see, but I hope it'll clear some stuff up. The problems lies in the model itself.
Some explanations along with the pic:
Yellow is basically just how you could improve the outline of the arm/chest-area. Especially notice how the arm is attached to the chest, as I mentioned in my previous post.
I've marked the red and green lines both in your pic, and on an extract from the loomis-book. Greeen line is how the bicep should deform and bind to the shoulder/chest. Red line marks how the chest and shoulder stick together. This line should be more defined (you should be able to spot this line directly on a buff character, like yours).
Nevermind the light/turqoise (did I spell that right?) line, it's just for trying to define the shape more - I didn't do a good job on that, so...just ignore it :P
As for the definement, just push the chestmuscles out a bit, along the red line.
As for the polycount, 5000, I think you could definately cut some polygons pretty much all over the model if you want - especially, you can cut down the number of sides that the legs/torso "cylinders" has got - you can still get a nice result without having 16-sided cylinders for the ankles.
Again, hope it helps!
Edit: It also seems that you should make the upper arm shorter, or the lower arm longer - the arm can still be long, but in general, those two are about the same length, the forearm perhaps a bit longer because of the hand/wrist.
01 January 2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.