View Full Version : link object to vertex??

BCSimpson
07 July 2002, 08:27 PM
Anyone know of, or have a script that will allow me to bind an object to a single vertex? I've tried these 2:

BindPoints: http://www.footools.com/plugins.html

and

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/artz/3dsmax/mxs/linko2v.php

...however I can't seem to get either of them to work. Maybe you are familiar with these scripts and could help me understand them better.

Thanks for any and all help!

Chris
07 July 2002, 12:35 AM
I havent tried either of those scripts, but what about just using an attachment constraint? you could attach & align it to a face & move the attachment point right up to where the vertex is...

BCSimpson
07 July 2002, 01:47 PM
sounds good...how might I go about doing that in Max 3.5?

DanielWichterich
07 July 2002, 02:20 PM
@ bcsimpson: don't know about max 3 but in max 4 you find it in Animation->Constraints->Attachment Constraint.
In the motion panel under assign controller you can rightclick the Attachment Controller for properties.
@Chris: Thanks! I have been searching for that possibility for a long time! But this way MAX attaches a hole object to a face. Is there a possibilty to attach just some of the vertexes to the face?
I hope you understand!

BCSimpson
07 July 2002, 02:23 PM
oh the glorious day when our studio upgrades!

Chris
07 July 2002, 09:23 PM
Sorry, is there an attachment controller in Max 3.5? I seem to remember them moving a few controllers over to being constraints, perhaps that was one of them? :shrug:

@Stange
Yep, just select the vertices you want to attach, then without exiting the subobject mode, apply a 'linked xform'. Create a dummy where the vertices are & use that as the linked xforms target. Then assign an attachment constraint to the dummy, that will attach to the object you want, & the vertices will follow the dummy via the linked xform... :)

ilasolomon
07 July 2002, 12:04 AM
just as CHRSI said, again!... :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:
hey, everytime i'm going to tell the solution i see u did it before!!!
:beer: cheers...

Chris
07 July 2002, 12:34 AM
:beer: I'm on a rolllll today! :D

DanielWichterich
07 July 2002, 08:59 AM
It works! You guys are great! Don't know how long I have been searching for that! My avatar (that lizard) has got a loincloth and I was always trying to nail it to his belt. And nooow I finally can!
Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.