XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : VFS Visual Effects Scholarship Reel

06-20-2004, 05:13 AM

I just finished the Festival Scholarship Extension program at the Vancouver Film School. Basically what that means is after I finished giving up my life for a year for the insanely intensive 3D Animation and Visual Effects program, the school offered me the opportunity to stay and work for another two months! And I said YES! :) Actually, I was really fortunate to get the opportunity. I was able to polish up my reel and hopefully make it festival worthy. (Fingers crossed!)

Anyway, here is the final version of Reflection. Some things I changed from the last one were the dandelions, the snow on the ground, clouds, window shatter, leaves falling, a boo-boo with the hubcap floating on the snow :p , the overall composite...I guess that's about it.

Well, enjoy!

Link to my webpage (http://www.vfs.com/~3d44kristin/)

My e-mail address 3d44kristin@vfs.com (3d44kristin@vfs.com)

06-20-2004, 05:45 AM
. congrats on your demo and scholarship extension... this is one of my favourite vfx demos, you done a great job with this and really took it to the next level with the 2 extra months. best of luck in your future .

i was at the 3d44 screening last week and your class seemed really strong , i cant wait to start my demo and hopefully be lucky enough to get the extension...
hehe tell the other guys in the tree fort to post their demos .. i been walking by all term and sneaking peeks at their work

06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
hey kristin,

looks great! just wanted to thank you for all the help from when i was a piddly little term 4 brat asking you all those questions. best of luck!

06-24-2004, 05:51 AM
Great work. I've really enjoyed this concept throughout your time at VFS and I'm glad to see its paid off with a fantastic peice. Good luck with it.

07-01-2004, 09:22 PM
that's amazing! ! ! i've always liked watching time lapses like that. the textures changing on the car are flawless, and the background plate changing seasons looks great. best of luck with the festivals!

07-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi Kristin!!!

Yay, I love the reel!! I hope you'll never have to do so many texture layers again in your life! I especially love the winter scene. I hope your jobhunt goes well, and congratulations! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :scream: :twisted:

07-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Kristin,

I really like your reel.
Everything looks very well intergrated.
Good luck

Reel (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1428208#post1428208)

07-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Man i fell in love with this animation
i love the music (Princess Bride) fits it perfect
Iv been watching it about once or twice a day :argh:

Inspired me to work harder than i have been
GREAT work :love:

uzair khan
07-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Hello kristin,
Beautiful work and brilliant concept.Congrats.

07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
I loved the idea... yeah it is one of my best visual effects demo reel from VFS.

07-06-2004, 10:56 AM
The pics look great but on the winter one I would recommend adding some snow on top of the truck and the tops of each post to give it more realism. Otherwise it looks great.

07-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Lovely and well presented work. A great exhibition of observation.

07-11-2004, 08:06 AM
rayfusion: Thanks! It was a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy VFS as much as I did and make the most out of your time and resources. I totally encourage everyone to apply for scholarship! I know you'll feel tired and sick of your project by Term 6, but scholarship is such an awesome opportunity and a very different experience than the rest of the year. Good luck!

laney: Thanks, Elaine. You didn't need my help! You did a super job. I'm glad we met though. Good luck with the job hunting. Keep in touch. I'd love to here where you go from here.

Package: Thank a lot. Good luck to you as well.

TrailerPark_Al: Thans a lot. Those textures took a LONG time, but I'm happy with how they turned out. The texture sequences totally ate up my hard drive space, but thanks to Larry and Ashley, I got an extra 120 GB!!! Yeah! (Not that I needed ALL that space, but I did have a lot of files.)

QuicklyRose: Thanks, Nora. Yeah, those layers were pretty insane! Oh well, what can you do, right? How's scholarship going? You totally deserve it. I hope it's a great experience for you.

winstonxyz: Thanks, Winston. Layers, layers, layers. That's how I got so much control over the intergration. Plus, an extra 2 months to tweak helped a lot too! :-)

Jeremyi: Wow! Once or twice a day?! Man, you're probably more sick of it than I am!!! Just kidding. I'm not really sick of it. I don't want to work on it anymore, but I'm happy with it! I love the music too. I was so excited when I got the rights to use it!

uzair khan: Thanks, Uzair!

wonseok: Wow, that's quite a statement. I'm flattered. Thank you.
CBlockDis: Yeah...I know...I...I...I have no excuse. It's something I should have added. I guess I just rationalized that it didn't really need it...but deep down I think I knew it would have been better with it. :D

BigSky: Thank you very much for the compliments.

Thanks to everyone for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed my work. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.