View Full Version : where to start for modeling a human?

slayerment
07 July 2002, 06:23 AM
whats the best way to start modeling a human? do i start with just a sphere and tweek from there or what? im a total newb to 3d so please dont get mad if this post sounds really basic. any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
Quinton

UnrealSnowman
07 July 2002, 10:11 AM
You might get some ideas from this one:
http://www.highend3d.com/global/tutorials/subdmodel/page1.3d

I know, it's for LW but actually is quite useful :thumbsup:

tazmanian
07 July 2002, 12:12 PM
i saw in some tutorial ...they use splice and nurbs for figure modelling .... what u think !!!

RavenX
07 July 2002, 01:41 PM
Use the box modelling method if you're a true noob. You learn more that way.

ambient-whisper
07 July 2002, 01:58 PM
..bah. 3dmax users and their box modeling.
your not modeling a box.
when you model something, your probably trying not to make it look like a box.
so why is it called box modeling? sure you start from a box. but you could start from a 6 sided cylinder too.

why not give it a name of what your actually doing. like subdividing the mesh and puttng in detail.

i think subdivision modeling is a bit more of an appropriate name, no?

sorry bout that:) just thought i would rant a little. no offence meant to you or anything ofcourse:)

JuRrAsStOiL
07 July 2002, 05:35 PM
@ambient
of course, the name is not that well chosen.
I call it, since I discovered poly modelling in
max, Polygonal Modelling or Subdivision Modelling.
But I mostly start from a box, a cylinder or, if
I want to use poly-by-poly modelling with a plane.

So, call it how you want :p

slayerment
07 July 2002, 04:34 PM
hey thx for the responses!
so how exactly would i go about the subdivision "box" method? im basically wanting to model my first head. im a total n00b to 3d and dont really know how this works too well. any tutorials for it would be great. btw im using max.
thx,
Quinton

Neil
07 July 2002, 07:43 PM
Do a search for "time lapse modeling" on the net. You will get a very good idea of how to model a character. Sure, you won't be expected to do it as well as most that you see, but they are very good at showing techniques.

Sorry i don't have any links right now, and i'm too lazy to find them right now.

Nemises
07 July 2002, 10:50 PM
As an alternative to "Box" or meshsmooth modelling, Dave K's head tutorial (poly extrusion of a refernce shot) is soo good (man...he's sooo good!) www.thehobbitguy.com i think.

Good stuff

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.