View Full Version : first real go at texturing. (200k image)
07 July 2002, 09:29 PM
Well first time poster here;
So here it goes, prop for a short animation im doing
just for fun, so i took the occasion to brush up on my
Mad props to Leigh for the texture workshop and the work
on this forum, great source of information keep it up!
Unwrapping: Lithunwrap 3.1
Texturing: Photoshop 5.5
Lighting and Rendering: Blender 2.23
Critics and comments are always welcome!
If theres interest ill post some screens of the texture later on.
07 July 2002, 03:33 PM
OOOOH!! You've been watching Full Metal Jacket haven't you?? I love that film :)
Great start!! The camo material is looking great so far :thumbsup:
Some problem areas:
- the bump map for the actual fabric is very good, but where there are actual holes in the fabric, you need to include that in the bump map too, to show that there is a height difference between the actual fabric and the helmet surface.
- where the fabric is pulled down over the edges on the rim, it should be more worn and threaded.
- the leather straps are looking good, but they also need a little bit more damage to them. Also, add creases to it - where it goes into the buckle, there should be a lot of deep creases, where it's been bent into the buckle day-in-and-day-out for years :)
- you might want to consider adding some stitched seams into the fabric.
- the words Born To Kill look like they were painted onto the render in Photoshop :curious: ... Are the words on the actual texture map? They are a little too desaturated.
If you wanted to be really hardcore with details, you could go in and paint the words to look like the ink spreads out into the threads - you know how ink seeps into the fabric's weave when you draw on it? That would be very cool :p
But apart from these things, it's an excellent first attempt at texturing!!!
07 July 2002, 04:26 AM
First of all many thanks!
Just the comments i was looking for.
Expect an improvement on this soon with youre points
In the meantime here's the current texture,
scaled to half resolution (to be at least a bit downloadable)
from the 2k res original.
As you can see the "Born to kill" is in the texturemap but like you said the incorporation can be much improved upon.
The better bump is something i dont know exactly if it can be improved on, Blender doesnt use "proper" bumpmapping let alone true displacement mapping.
01 January 2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.