LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : robot: ED209

06-02-2004, 04:51 PM

I just finished this image, It's the ED209 robot from the movie RoboCop.
I placed him in an forest enviroment, because I like the way how technology and nature blend with each other. Like in Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, with the AT-ST walkers at the end of the movie.

new image:

old image

It's entirely created in Maya, rendered with Metnal Ray

All comments are welcome.

06-02-2004, 05:22 PM
WHOA !!!!! If that isn't ED-209 I don't know what is, SUPER-COOL big fan of Robocop myself, well the first one anyway.... I love it that's a really, really neat render...
One comment if I may, the gloss on his left leg is a little too much gives it a wet look and it's flowing over that groove there what looks like his shin...

other than that :bowdown:

really, you've blown me away!

06-02-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks for your reply!

I know about the gloss on his leg, but I think its more a side effect of the lighting. When I change the specularity he looses his metal look.
I'll try to come up with a solution.

BTW, RoboCop rules

06-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi man!

It' s looking good. How long U do it? I make ED-209 too.

Good work!

06-03-2004, 10:44 AM

I guess the model itself took about 2 weeks to complete, including UV mapping and texturing.

I tried to get rid of the gloss on his legs, and this image is what I've come up with.
Let me know what you think of this new version

many thanks

06-03-2004, 02:26 PM
What I tell U is..... Add more details and look carefully on ref. pic with legs. There is many thing to change.

06-03-2004, 02:50 PM
looks good, but I have to agree on the issues with the gloss, though my opinion's a bit different. I think it doesn't look bad, it's just unfitting for something like the jungle... I doubt it'd look weird if you had placed it in a factory hall. perhaps try adding some mud and stains on the legs.

06-03-2004, 07:13 PM
You earned my first post now you've got my second post too, and to be honest I cannot resist posting for this. The new pic is SOOOOOOO FREAKING AWESOME, I LOVE IT, he looks so real and animated even just sitting there, you gave me chills down my spine and rose the hairs on my neck. I showed you new pic to my pals at work, the comments from them were, is there another Robocop movie coming out ? When I told them it's a rendered 3D image they didn't believe me :bowdown:

P.S. " I'd buy THAT for a dollar !!!"

thanks for the inspiration !

06-04-2004, 12:41 PM

thanks for all the comments
]Rebro[, your render looks nice too, altough personaly I'n not a big fan of the old and rusted look.
and questionmark, thanks for the positive feedack, I didn't even realise I could inspire someone with these renders

06-04-2004, 01:26 PM
good work. I think the second picture is better but i think foot need a little gloss, now it isn't match with body.also i think your light isn't match with your bg (forest).
what you think that Rebro's robot and blade84's robot give race.
who are winner?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.