View Full Version : Doom3 and... The XBox


slaughters
05 May 2004, 02:29 AM
"Id has not yet settled on a release date for Doom 3 (sometime this year, they say), one thing is clear: the game has been designed to be played on only one console, Microsoft's Xbox..."

>>>> Link <<<< (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/29/technology/circuits/29xbox.html?ex=1083988800&en=97cdfa004ced80f7&ei=5012&partner=CNET)

Novakog
05 May 2004, 05:10 AM
I wonder if the same thing will happen for Half-Life 2 (I know it's being made for PC, Mac, and Xbox - but I'm not sure about the other consoles)?

mummey
05 May 2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Novakog
I wonder if the same thing will happen for Half-Life 2 (I know it's being made for PC, Mac, and Xbox - but I'm not sure about the other consoles)?

Not sure about Gamecube's ability with pixel and vertex shaders, but I really doubt it would be possible on PS2.

-B

Recursive
05 May 2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by walshbem
Not sure about Gamecube's ability with pixel and vertex shaders, but I really doubt it would be possible on PS2.

-B

hardware can be worked around.

userbase is a bigger problem.


Not many cube owners would even look at doom3(including me)

Novakog
05 May 2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by green86
hardware can be worked around.

userbase is a bigger problem.


Well, I agree with you, but that's not what the article said. Frankly, I'm surprised they're not going to make Doom 3 for PS2. But can PS2 even have bump maps? I'm not quite sure whether I've ever seen a PS2 game with them...

heavyness
05 May 2004, 07:54 PM
do FPS that are ported from PC to consoles sell a lot? i don't remember UT doing that well on home systems, and i remember quake being ported over to systems and not selling that much.

it seems that FPS made for console do much better then PC ports [halo, timesplitters, 007, and so on].

personally, if i can play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller, i'll do it.

Novakog
05 May 2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by kole
do FPS that are ported from PC to consoles sell a lot? i don't remember UT doing that well on home systems, and i remember quake being ported over to systems and not selling that much.

it seems that FPS made for console do much better then PC ports [halo, timesplitters, 007, and so on].

personally, if i can play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller, i'll do it.

Yeah, I think you're right about them not doing well, and probably because most people prefer the mouse+keyboard. Personally, I actually really like the control setup for FPS on the Xbox, maybe better than the PC. In my experience, it's a lot easier (i.e. more intuitive and easier controlled) for close combat things - because to spin around really fast (if someone say, jumped over your head, a technique I like to use in FPS) you simply push the joystick and hold it. On a mouse, you have to continuosly move the mouse to the side, pick it up, bring it back to the center, and repeat - and it takes a lot more time to spin around. You can always up the controller mouse sensitivity, but then it becomes harder to snipe.

Just my thoughts.

Laa-Yosh
05 May 2004, 10:39 PM
Bump mapping (as in Doom3, with per-pixel lighting) on the PS2 can only be done in a very compleceted way, which also consumes far too much performance. The memory is also too small to fit in all the textures - even the Xbox version is obviously scaled back... Carmack knows his stuff well enough, the PS2 isn't capable to run his game with the most important graphical features.

TumikSmacker
05 May 2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Novakog
In my experience, it's a lot easier (i.e. more intuitive and easier controlled) for close combat things - because to spin around really fast (if someone say, jumped over your head, a technique I like to use in FPS) you simply push the joystick and hold it. On a mouse, you have to continuosly move the mouse to the side, pick it up, bring it back to the center, and repeat - and it takes a lot more time to spin around.


:surprised :surprised :rolleyes: :)

Novakog
05 May 2004, 05:49 AM
Hey, I play a lot of FPS on the computer. I am a GOD at HPC :beer:.

erilaz
05 May 2004, 06:11 AM
What???? So there wont be a N-Gage port? :surprised




















:p

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.


1