View Full Version : Frosted glass/blurred transparency?

03 March 2004, 04:32 PM
I need to make a frosted glass material, and I found this this (, which seems to offer diffraction (which I assume is blurred trasnparency).

I'm about to try it out, but am wondering if I have any other options.

03 March 2004, 09:01 PM

had the same problem... maybe in maya 6 will be a GOOD solution for this

03 March 2004, 11:48 PM
What did you use to get the effect? Was it what I linked to above?

I don't need an alpha channel, so the problems in your thread aren't an issue for me. I'm just trying to find the nicest and fastest option.

03 March 2004, 03:46 PM
use the difrations plugin and you will get an satifing result.. and the whole thread deals about this... the shader is easy and much faster than the dgs thing...

03 March 2004, 05:00 PM
I created a frosted glass surface once... dont have the picture here on this computer =(
Anyhow, jsut created a really detailed bumpmap with noise along with raytraced refractions and lots of antialiasing =)
But it was in 3dsmax...

03 March 2004, 07:05 PM
this was my first try too, but it took quit to long in MR to calculate and it was not flexible enough to zoom in or out,.. man i tell you take the refraction plugin this is really cool exept the alpha channel problem with custom mr shaders

03 March 2004, 07:24 PM
OK, but I don't know which plug-in you are refering to. The only one I found is the one I linked to in the first post.

03 March 2004, 12:53 PM

daniel rinds diffraction shader (stuff)

03 March 2004, 12:57 PM
Ok, so that's the one I'm already using.

Thanks. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.