View Full Version : Beast Of Burden - Character/Contraption - Slacker

07 July 2002, 01:31 AM
Hello Everyone

Well, I've been watching these challenges since February, but never have entered. I guess it pulls everyone in eventually...

Heres my start, still in the concept stage, just wanted to get my entry in.

animated gif - showing brainstorming of dragon type BoB.

07 July 2002, 01:37 AM
i'll post some more updates soon, so you might actually be able to start seeing what it is...

07 July 2002, 03:12 AM
Very interesting image....your process seems really different. I don't really have any crits, but I'll be watching to see how this develops. :wavey:

07 July 2002, 04:07 AM
still playing around with the basic concept...
heres a couple of changes. I don't think I'm going to go with the wolf like one, but I did kind of like the ideal...

07 July 2002, 05:01 AM
I still have no clue how this is going to turn out when I get done, but for now, heres an update. Just can't decide on what type of head, and what type of emotion to give it...

07 July 2002, 06:42 AM
you deffinitley have a unique style. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out . :thumbsup: go for it

07 July 2002, 07:14 PM
thx for the feedback.

ok, I at least have decided on the character now... kind of an artic snow beast type...

07 July 2002, 06:57 PM
I'm waitin'. looks like a demon dog.

07 July 2002, 03:28 AM
added harness and some facial recognition...

07 July 2002, 03:53 AM
what makes me think this is gonna be really different looking (for here) and cool? Look forward to it.:thumbsup:

07 July 2002, 05:03 AM
I'm curious about your process. Are you using filters to get this smooth, liquidy look? Or is it a brush style? Really interesting stuff!:D

07 July 2002, 07:19 AM
thx for the :thumbsup: 's

I'm mainly just using the smudge tool. I use a combo of filters usually in the end as well though, but most of my work is done with a big blob of spray paint and the smudge tool. A good example of this is below...

In my attempt to come up with a contraption, I pretty much started a whole new entry. :annoyed:

I get side tracked very easily so bear with me this challenge...

07 July 2002, 07:20 AM
Here's what the color scheme would have been

07 July 2002, 07:52 AM
So your not confused, I'm not going with the big bug thingy, I'm still sticking with the artic cat thingy. It will look something like the image below.

07 July 2002, 04:27 AM
Emotion : Stubborn...

hehe, fuzzy wuzzy wuz a pissed off bear.

07 July 2002, 12:01 AM
Nice style!! Looking forward to your final image. :thumbsup:

07 July 2002, 03:55 AM
Thx for the comp.:beer:

Still trying to come up with some details for the picture... I think I'm going to ditch the lizard guy and plant stuff on the left and just go with the stubborn artic cat and the bear with a gun. Haven't had much time to work on this as of late, my job's requiring a bunch of 12 hour days again. Plus, got to find a hotel for Siggraph...

Critiques Welcome

Here's a bigger picture of the bear

07 July 2002, 09:23 PM
I like your style. The bear is radical.

07 July 2002, 11:53 PM
thx for the comp JFrench. :)

Well, Iím still in the contest, I just am being tremendously overworked. I even had to cancel my Siggraph trip, and I only live a few hours away from San Antonio!

Oh well, Iíve been getting a little distracted, and have been browsing the forums and seeing some really good work, so I've decided to up my entry a bit. This time I've started the background and scene work first, and will put the Beast of burden in an update a little later. For now, hope the update will suffice.

(image "supposed" to represent, explosions on the left & right, guy falling backwards in the bottom middle, debris on the right, and a guy face down on the ground bottom left)

07 July 2002, 07:48 PM
Your style reminds me of Dali. :)

07 July 2002, 04:30 AM

Here's another update,
I'm going with a giant owl BoB. Needs alot of work, hopefully I can finish it in time. Stuck a little green man on it just to show the concept i'm trying to work. c-ya.

07 July 2002, 12:35 AM
I don't know what I'm doing. lol. :shrug:

The more I look at my work, the less I like it. Probably why I hardly ever finish any of my personal projects.
Well, I got like 4 days left to finish this contest, and I'll have something by then, I'm just not positive what....
here's an update of where the owl picture was heading. cheers. :beer:

08 August 2002, 03:22 AM
well, it's been a LONG month for me, so I'm submitting my final now. I wish I could have spent more time this month on the contest, but that's life....

Gonna go with this one...

the Large version (

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.