View Full Version : Metaparticles

DogmaD
03 March 2004, 09:49 AM
Hello!

I have programmed a particle system in directx + C++. I want to extend this particlesystem, so it supports metaparticles. The problem is, that I have a hard time finding anything relevant in books or on the internet.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me, where to find the theory behind metaparticles?

Thanks!

playmesumch00ns
03 March 2004, 01:54 PM
I think you want to be searching for "blobbies" or "implicit surfaces" rather than metaparticles. Never heard of metaparticles before but I'm guessign that's what you mean.

DogmaD
03 March 2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks. I noticed that afterwards. I have started working on metaballs and i will implement them in a particle system. This to research if they can represent liquids. Have you ever implemented such a system?

stoo
03 March 2004, 05:04 PM
I remember seeing an Image Of The Day on www.flipcode.com which IIRC used 2d metaballs to represent a water volume (or the surface of it).. Ah yes, I've found it here:

http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=06-25-2002&forum=iotd&id=-1

Theres a bit of explaination there as well which might help expand it to a 3d system.

cheers,
stoo

DogmaD
03 March 2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks stoo, I will look into it. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.