View Full Version : n00b question : two sided plane

Littleberu
02 February 2004, 09:28 PM
Hi, I want to make a cap for a character, and I wanted to know how can I make a 2 sided planar object in 3Ds Max. Thanks!

Buck
02 February 2004, 09:53 PM
Just click the box that says "2-sided" in the material editor on the material you are using, i guess...

Littleberu
02 February 2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Buck
Just click the box that says "2-sided" in the material editor on the material you are using, i guess...

I don't find this option. Where can i find it please? :)

Fish-MD
02 February 2004, 12:52 AM
rightclick on the object->properties->force 2sided

this will render a face on both sides. If ur game dosent support 2 sided materials it won't work.

Other method is to simply make a new poly on the hidden side.

Gyzer
02 February 2004, 05:55 PM
Well that force 2sided thing doesn't work in max 5.1. Hell its not even in the properties of an object. What version of max are you using?

Howard Day
02 February 2004, 06:08 PM
OK, the easiest way to do this is by selecting the polies you want to be two-sided and duplicating them. (This is usually done by shift-clicking on them while in move mode...) when it asks you where you want to dupe them - select "element" and hit ok.
Then flip the faces. (Flip is a option in both editable mesh and poly - in editable mesh it's under "surface properties" and in editable poly its under "edit polygons")
One last thing - you might not want to weld these new faces - doing so can sometimes cause some very funky smoothing groups.
Best of luck!

commy
02 February 2004, 06:52 PM
u should be careful different platforms have different rules some arent as keen on 2 sided objects as others

Supervlieg
02 February 2004, 07:28 PM
Tick the two sided option in the material editor. It wont show up in your viewports though. It will when you render.

I think if you switch to openGL you might be able to see then in your viewports, but im not shure.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.