View Full Version : Thumbnails

name
02 February 2004, 10:16 AM
Kind of a stupid question but...for some reason all of a sudden I can't view any .psd thumbnails...in explorer or photoshop itself...I was wondering if anyone had any idea if there was just some setting or something I might have set by accident or what? I could view them fine up until the other day.It's kind of annoying because I need the visual representation of the file to know what t is before I open it...I can use the file browser inside PS but I'd still like to see thumbs in explorer.TIA

btw...this is only .psd files.

halo
02 February 2004, 11:11 AM
photoshop CS?

turning on maximise compatability when you save them.

wolver1ne
02 February 2004, 11:13 AM
I assume you use Photoshop CS. In this version thumbnails aren't supported with Windows Explorer.

However, you can fix that by installing Photoshop 7 and then CS. Photoshop 7 will install a psicon.dll in Common Files/Adobe folder and add some registry entries. If you look up on the net, you might find how to do it manually.

wolver1ne
02 February 2004, 11:29 AM
Ok, apparently all you need is just psicon.dll. If you can get that, simply copy it to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell" and it will work just fine. It appears that the needed registry keys are all there (look up "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}" to be sure).

name
02 February 2004, 07:13 PM
Wow...how gay of Adobe. I'm sick and tired of software companies trying to control what I do with MY computer...If I don't want to use PS's file browser I shouldn't have to...

//end of whine...

Thx for the tip Wolverine...i got that file from a friend that runs 7 still so I'm gonna try it here in a sec.

name
02 February 2004, 08:46 PM
Ok...i figured out that you do have to add some registry entries to get this to work. I made a .reg file so all you have to do is double click and add to registry...I put the reg file I made and the psicon.dll and some brief instructions together if anyone else is interested pm me and I'd be more than happy to send it your way.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.