View Full Version : virtual PC question

t-man152
12 December 2003, 09:30 PM
I just saw this app from microsoft called virtual PC for mac. with this you can run windows XP on a mac. so my question is since I am thinking of getting a new computer is would I be able to run my games on virtual pc. I will purchase Maya, photoshop cs after deciding if I will continue with PC or switch to Mac. so what I want to know is will my PC games(unreal 2, unreal tournament, gta vc,etc) work on virtual pc?

imashination
12 December 2003, 11:31 PM
Those games will work in the same way that you could use a go kart in an F1 race.

quinox
12 December 2003, 11:33 PM
it will probably work... I played a bit with VWMare a while ago, and was amazed by the level of faking... you even have a bios :)

But: its slow... its really slow. And I noticed it with only the GUI of linux. So don't count on it that you can run heavy apps, like Unreal, smoothly

t-man152
12 December 2003, 12:28 AM
thanks for the feedback

FredSpeaks
12 December 2003, 01:15 AM
Also to note, VPC is not yet supported on th G5.

beaker
12 December 2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by t-man152
I just saw this app from microsoft called virtual PC for mac. with this you can run windows XP on a mac. so my question is since I am thinking of getting a new computer is would I be able to run my games on virtual pc. I will purchase Maya, photoshop cs after deciding if I will continue with PC or switch to Mac. so what I want to know is will my PC games(unreal 2, unreal tournament, gta vc,etc) work on virtual pc?
unreal 2 and unreal tournament run nativly on mac. :)

Yes you can run games on it, but typically it runs at about 1/2 the speed of mhz that your machine is. So a 2 ghz mac will run like a 1 ghz pc in emulation. Also Alias charges money to switch platforms(not sure what it is now, but it was 1k to switch platforms before the price drop).

frostfyre
12 December 2003, 05:39 AM
IIRC, virtual PC emulates all the hardware, even the video card. It's like running an 8mb video card on a PC and hoping for good games performance.

This may have changed in the most recent version, though.

ages
12 December 2003, 12:38 PM
http://www.macosrumors.com/

scroll down to vpc part.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.