LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : help me analyze the lighting of this scene!

11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Hello every one!

i am just a beginner in this field but having a very basic and introductory level of tips and techniques of lighting..

i was just trying to do this interior shot, in which i want to achieve a evening kinda feel more warmer and kinda orangish - hope that is clear to you.. i have taken a render on gray shader.

please look at my very first try that i shared.. it looks pretty good to my eyes, but i don't know how would a professional eye would response or critique on this..

i would really appreciate a deep level of criticism on this render..

like what could be added, and whats is missing.. and what things can also be done on the final retouching on composite?

11-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Well. There's nothing much to say as it is a very simple scene. A few things to point out.

- Your tree shadow on the left and right are looking very distracting. Look up some photography to see how tree shadows blur in real life.

- Light direction is very close to camera angle. That doesn't produce a very interesting look.

11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
hello panupat, thanks for your reply!

can u please elaborate a little bit on what do u mean by the " lighting direction is close to the camera ? also.. i will adjust the leaves of the trees accordingly u suggested..

and how do you look and feel the overall temperature and ambiance of the room ?

11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I mean, your camera and key light are both pointing in the same direction. Not exactly the same but pretty close. This resembles a real camera's pop up flash where it lights your target dead-on from the front. This most of the time is consider a bad lighting.

I can't say much about the over all mood at this stage. The ground and the wall cover a lot of your frame, and they're very even. Creating a very flat look.

11-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I wouldnt call it the best axample of lighting a scene :argh:

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2012, 06:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.