XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : nodeType "light" analogical to ls -type "light"

11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi guys.

I'm new in this section so please be forgiving. :)

Anyway what I'm looking for is more straight forward method to check if created node was any type of light.

We can list all lights by ls (ls -type "light"), but what about getting nodeType?
All we can receive by { nodeType/objectType "lightShape" } is it's exact type, but I need more general info such " light ".

Do you know about analogical method to (ls -type "light") but with nodeType command.

Thanks in advance and best!

11-05-2012, 12:17 AM
what exactly are you trying to do? and why do you need to use nodeType for it?

if `ls -type "light"`gives you the info you need then just use that.. (you can specify a node too there you know!)

11-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Thx for quick resopnd NaughtyNathan!

-what exactly are you trying to do?
The thing is I need it for a scriptJob that waits for light creation and It would be more elegant to use kind of nodeType/objectType isType "light"

-and why do you need to use nodeType for it?
There is no need to use nodeType. It is just curiosity of possible methods for learning purposes

Thanks again!

11-05-2012, 11:25 AM
well "light" is an abstract parent class of all lights, so if you want to use the nodeType command, use the -inherited flag which gives you a list of all the base node types inherited by the given object. in the case of lights, "light" is the 5th element in the list. Personally I would still use ls:

string $selectedLights[] = `ls -sl -dag -type "light"`;
if (`size $selectedLights`) print "a light is selected!";

// or:

if (size(`ls -type "light" -dag $node`)) print "$node is a light";

11-05-2012, 01:23 PM

"nodeType -inherited " gives to much useless(for that purpose) info so as you said ls would be better.

http://xyz2.net/mel/mel.023.htm namely "getClassification" or
string $type = `nodeType pCubeShape1`;
if (`gmatch $type "*Light"`) print "light";
could be used too.

Thanks for your support NaughtyNathan!!

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.