View Full Version : displace operator
12 December 2003, 06:55 PM
I have a little issue with the displace operator on combustion 2.1. Iím using it to make a text layer ripple based on the luminosity of the background layer. When I apply the effect the text ripples with the contours of the background layer, unfortunately it the text also starts to rip apart like creating aliased lines. The only solution Iíve found is to blur the text. Does anyone else have a better solution?
12 December 2003, 09:02 PM
Try blurring the layer you are using as a source for the displace instead (or copy it first, so you have an un-blurred version)
12 December 2003, 09:57 PM
Bluring the source of the displacement should work.
Tell us if you solve your problem ;)
12 December 2003, 12:06 AM
The source image is a 3d rendering made in lightwave 3D. I tried copying the source layer and applying a gaussian blur, then using this blur operator as the source layer for the displacement. Unfortunately, it didn't help with the aliasing effect on the text. I'll try rendering out the background layer with the blur effect and importing it as a new file to see if there is a difference.
12 December 2003, 09:32 PM
Well i tried a soft blur on the background layer, but it didn't help with the text. For now i'll keep it as it is. Maybe i'll contact discreet later and see if they can address this issuse in the future.
thanks for the help all.
12 December 2003, 06:02 PM
this may not be relavant but compound blurring your layers for displace works nicely as well.Use it in afx as well.
12 December 2003, 06:47 PM
when you are applying the displace operator go to the "displace controls dialogue". check and see what your "layer" is that is driving the displace operator. If you applied a blur to your source, you need the "layer" to be the blur operator and not the footage. You could also nest the blurred source and then choose the "nest" as your source.
12 December 2003, 10:53 PM
Actually I have experienced this problem fairly consistently with Combustion, and I think it stems from any effect which causes a portion of your image to become 'expanded'. Basically I think the software just doesnt do a very good job of interpolating new detail for the area which gets stretched.
Blurring will reduce the effect, but I think you will get better results if you double the size of the displaced footage, double the size of the displacing footage, do your effect, then half the size of the result.
I have has some luck this way, but, of course, its fairly sluggish for your render.
Hope that helps.
12 December 2003, 02:19 AM
gemcap you have a very inveresting soloution. I'll have to give it a try next time i go up against the displace operator.
12 December 2003, 04:56 PM
nice one gemcap...apart from the usual trade off's
01 January 2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.