View Full Version : way to check weights for each point?

vapulus
12 December 2003, 05:07 AM
Alright, peepz. ;)
Since I'm exporting to Director (I hate director SOOO much, nowadays...and the exporter), each vertex can only be weighted to a single bone. Is there any good way of checking this? I mean, the model has a rather large amount of points, because it's a full character, with a full skeleton (including facial rig). The exporter for shockwave crashes every time, and I'm wondering if it's because I have a point with, like, 1% weight somewhere in addition to the bone it's supposed to be weight to. I hope newtek releases a new version of the exporter someday. I mean, it won't be in time to save this project from hell, but it most definitely needs it. Is there any work still being done on it, Proton (if he sees this)?

kretin
12 December 2003, 05:08 AM
select the points you wanna check and hit "i". Bit of a pain if you have lotsa points to check out, but it works...

vapulus
12 December 2003, 05:53 AM
ahh, that's worth a shot in a few places
forgot about that
i do, however, have about 3k points ;)

kretin
12 December 2003, 05:56 AM
hehe, have fun :)

Would certainly be useful to have a plug to check, or the exported to check for that, and report back which points, or which weights are bad.

vapulus
12 December 2003, 06:26 AM
I most definitely agree. Or just let the points handle more than one bone at a time. Either one would work. I wonder who we could pass that along to. *looks in Proton's direction*

kretin
12 December 2003, 06:32 AM
Or just let the points handle more than one bone at a time.

Isn't that a Director limitation?

vapulus
12 December 2003, 06:39 AM
If it is, the other exporters (Max/Maya) that I've used don't seem to choke on exporting, at least. I really do have to bail on lightwave for this project, now. I have to have this stuff done soon, and I can't keep screwing with this horrible, crashy crashy, LW exporter. I'm going to have to redo a bunch of stuff in MAX, but at least it has a good exporter, so I know stuff will work. Now...I just need to re-learn max in a day. I can do it. *sigh*

Max is evil! =(

Suricate
12 December 2003, 07:43 AM
Vapulus, I don't know whether it solves your problem, but maybe you can have a look at my plug-in 'DeselectVertices'. It lets you quickly identify vertices whose weight map values across all weight maps add up to 100% or 0%. Look here (http://www.animationsnippets.com/plugins/deselectvertices/index.html) .

NanoGator
12 December 2003, 08:44 AM
Out of curiosity, is it possible to multiply weight values? Seems like if ya multiplied all the weights by 100, in Weight view you'd see discoloration...

SplineGod
12 December 2003, 09:13 AM
This might be a useful plugin as well:
http://www.anon.jp/software/wsheet/wsheet_en.html

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.