AV: microsoft security essentials
It takes 4 minutes to boot the system. Meaning I open the performance tab of the task manager, wait until every graph is flat and the cpu is on 0%, and then I read the system up time. Running any application before the system comes to rest would just slow down the whole process, and it won't load or respond any faster.
I have a batch file which runs: vs2010, matlab, maya. From a fresh boot it takes it between a minute and a half to sometimes four minutes (I'm not sure on what it depends) to fully load all three applications.
After loading the applications for the first time, loading them later would take mere seconds, but still, why does it take so long to run an application for the first time?
I tried to monitor the disk activity, calculate how many MB need to be loaded to memory, compare it to the hd transfer rate, and I still couldn't justify the timings. I have 8 cores, one is doing something that don't exert it too much, and the others are almost idle. What is taking so much time?
- It takes at least 10 seconds for VS2010 to load a simple solution. The responsiveness of the whole ide is sluggish.
- Opening a desktop folder which contains only shortcuts takes a few seconds to load all the icons.
- In the main tasks such as specific calculations or running games, the computer is fast enough.
In win xp using vs2005 everything responded promptly. And why wouldn't it, I mean vs is just an improved notepad. And how long should it take to load a bunch of desktop icons?!
- I ran sysinternals autoruns and disabled 80% of the apps that load at boot.
- I ran puran defrag on full optimization (also in boot time).
- I cleaned the registry with cclean and system care.
- I'm trying a trial of diskeeper.
but no major improvement. Actually on the first week I had the same performance from the os and ide.
And then I read this annoying article of someone that suggests that as computers would get faster, humans won't feel comfortable to have tasks performed immediately, and developers would have to add animations to slow down applications... What a BS, at this rate I'm going back to pen and paper. :rolleyes:
What about your computer?
How do you feel about your ide and os responsiveness? Compared to older OS?
7 years ago, did your computer respond faster or slower? Do you know how many computer years are in 7 human years...